Next Generation Privia (Casio PX-S1000 & PX-S3000)

Brad Saucier

I do not understand all the admiration.

We have already given to it all possible medals and rewards.

I am sure that so far nobody has tried these new Privias.

NAMM is a pretty closed event.

I am waiting when it will appear in demo rooms so could try it myself.

Did anybody see the manual for PX S1000, 3000. I could not find it on Casio's website.

There аrе some features which are easy to make such as the noise of dumper or keys of the keyboard. On acoustic piano such "features" are least desirable.
When somebody is trying to convince me that key noise in my headphone is a cool feature it does not impress me at all.

SP34 seems to be a good idea. I do prefer this design over the old one. However seems like SP33 won't work with new PX-S.

Do people have to buy new stands? 

It looks like there is no USB-Audio again.

According to available information, the blue-tooth interface allows to feed-in audio to PX.

Integration with iPad is limited to the level of USB-MIDI.

New generation, it is !!!

PX- S3000 is $200 cheaper than PX-360. Maybe I expect too much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sslyutov said:

Did anybody see the manual for PX S1000, 3000. I could not find it on Casio's website.

The PX-S manuals are not up yet. Given that they've only just debuted and the chipset is almost completely new, it's likely that some last second tweaks will be made before they actually hit the market so a finished manual won't come until after that. The new CDP-S models were all built on existing hardware under the hood, just with new slimmed down chassis and actions so it makes sense that the documentation is already released (a lot of the CDP-S350 manual is copied word for word from the CT-X700/X800 manual, for example).

SP34 seems to be a good idea. I do prefer this design over the old one. However seems like SP33 won't work with new PX-S.

Do people have to buy new stands? 

The SP-34 uses a special proprietary connector. The old SP-33's will not be compatible, as they are made to attach the bottom of the wooden CSU stand units of the previous generation Privias (CS-67), whereas the SP-34 is made to be portable and is secured on the ground by rubber feet. Because the CSU stands literally screw into the bottom of the keyboard chassis for a sturdy fit, when the keyboard's dimensions change, the accompanying stand must be redesigned to match. So yes, because the new Privias are considerably smaller and lighter, a new CSU stand (CS-68) will be required. However, given the lower weight and the focus on portability with the new generation Privias, I imagine that foldable double braced X-stands like the ARDX will be more appealing to the target audience.

It looks like there is no USB-Audio again.

According to available information, the blue-tooth interface allows to feed-in audio to PX.

Integration with iPad is limited to the level of USB-MIDI.

You're right in that there is no direct USB-Audio for recording into DAWs on the new Privias. The PX-S3000 will have an onboard Audio Recorder that will allow for stereo WAV file playback and recording, with import and export via USB flash drive, much like the previous generation Privias. Bluetooth is only for Audio-In, but there is also a standard 1/8" Audio-In on the back panel if you prefer a wired connection.

Integration with the Chordana Play app is actually a huge step forward for the new Privias; it will allow easy touch screen control of all the piano settings and the recorder functions, as well as a PDF score viewer and the option to play along to external MIDI files with a cool piano roll interface that scores you on your accuracy. Gigging pianists who are interested in the PX-S models as lightweight stage pianos they can lug around town can make use the of the USB-MIDI connection with any number of popular VST apps (KeyScape, Mainstage) to expand their selection of tones beyond the built-in sounds on offer.

PX- S3000 is $200 cheaper than PX-360. Maybe I expect too much.

The PX-S1000 and S3000 were designed to replace the PX-160 and PX-350 as the "entry level to intermediate" Privias. The touch screen display and pro-level arranger features you'll find on the PX-360 and PX-560 aren't going anywhere for a while because they're still in high demand due to those particular features (and a lack of quality competition at the price point they occupy). The PX-160 and PX-350 were very successful too, but they've had a good long run and the competition in that "entry level to intermediate" category is always getting stronger as it becomes easier and easier to cost-reduce such products without sacrificing functionality. It was very savvy of Casio respond to the changing needs of that section of the market and revamp their lower end Privias to capitalize on trends in the industry among their competitors; compact and portable form factor, simple and elegant interfaces, and excellent sound quality.

7 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Maybe because they are really good keyboards?  

I actually believe in it. There are great engineers and musicians stand behind every new Casio's product.

There is no doubt.

I have a lot of respect for all people who were working on these new products.

My point - we just did not try yet.

I assume nobody had a chance to try it so far.

Chandler Holloway

"The new CDP-S models were all built on existing hardware under the hood, just with new slimmed down chassis and actions..."

What do you mean new action? 

Did they change the design of keys?

What does make you believe that there is new action in PX-S?

Yes, it is three separate questions ;)

On 1/27/2019 at 10:38 PM, AlenK said:

I'm pretty sure the PX-560 and PX-860 implement damper noise and string resonance (as well as damper resonance), so it seems odd to attribute the source of these specific features to the higher-end Grand Hybrid series, unless those features are implemented better in the Grand Hybrid series and the S3000 uses those particular implementations. Is that the case? 

What is in the Grand Hybrid in terms of string & damper resonance as well as damper noise, key knock and more is completely different that PX-560 and PX-860.  That being said the PX-S1000 / S3000 have this technology running on a new engine. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sslyutov said:

There аrе some features which are easy to make such as the noise of dumper or keys of the keyboard. On acoustic piano such "features" are least desirable.
When somebody is trying to convince me that key noise in my headphone is a cool feature it does not impress me at all.

These are the nuances of a real grand piano that you experience when playing it.  Yes when you record an acoustic piano an engineer will do their best to minimize some of these things. When they are completely absent the experience is not the same. The experience of playing these pianos is rather phenomenal.  (yes, I've played them).   ;)

• Like 1

Brad is correct. Both the new PX-S and CDP-S models have new, slimmer actions. I wonder if the S stands for slim!

The CDP-S series uses the same sensor array as the previous generation Privias (Tri-Sensor Hammer Action II), but the hammer action assembly has been size reduced to fit the smaller form factor. The Privias use both new sensors and a new action, the "Smart Scaled Hammer Action." I don't know too much about it (other than everyone who played on it at NAMM loves it) but I assume we will get more specifics as the launch date approaches.

• Like 1

Let me make this clear.  Both the PX-S series and CDP series have a new action.  This is complete redesign from the ground up. 

While they are very similar mechanically the PX-S series provide additional technology over the CDP series which provides the unique scaling of all 88 keys.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Martin said:

Let me make this clear.  Both the PX-S series and CDP series have a new action.  This is complete redesign from the ground up. 

While they are very similar mechanically the PX-S series provide additional technology over the CDP series which provides the unique scaling of all 88 keys.  

Thanks.

Actually, this is the greatest news I was hoping for. I do not care about slim action, but at least it gives a hope that new keys will be quieter.

Kawai does a great job in these terms. They provide pictures/videos and descriptions for every type of keys they make.

Mike, I always wanted to say hi to you personally !!!

Great videos!!!

Thanks for the clarification Mike. I was confused because the international site has the CDP-S models listed as having the previous gen Scaled Hammer Action II (see attachment), so I assumed the sensor technology was preserved despite the size reduction of the action.

Can you clarify whether or not the the CDP-S models use the AiX sound source? The S350 has a nearly identical selection of tones to the X700 (even down to the Program Change/Bank select values in the appendices) and also has the same 64-note polyphony, but I haven't seen the CDP-S series being advertised as AiX instruments anywhere. Is it possible that they're using the samples from the X700, but not the AiX chipset?

s100hammeraction.png

9 minutes ago, Chandler Holloway said:

Can you clarify whether or not the the CDP-S models use the AiX sound source? The S350 has a nearly identical selection of tones to the X700 (even down to the Program Change/Bank select values in the appendices) and also has the same 64-note polyphony, but I haven't seen the CDP-S series being advertised as AiX instruments anywhere. 

Yes. CDP-S350 does. You're correct in your observation. Tokyo HQ choice to not market it that way.  Someone mentioned earlier something about Japanese humor...so there you go. 

Now if Casio could capture Keith Jarrett's vocal noises when he plays, or Glenn Gould (listen carefully-sometimes I can hear him humming while he plays Bach) now that would be pretty impressive!! And being able to add that in with the expression pedal.....

well I am Jokeyman...:hitt:  :wall::roll:

Sorry, can't think of anything more meaningful to add here. Tough break. Not Japanese humor but the best I can do under the circumstances. 

There is no surprise why we admire these new privias. There are really three companies that have models in the low end piano market: yamaha with the P series. casio with the px. Roland has FP series. That's it, everyone else is aiming for the $1k and above.  I don't count korg and their sp models because those are build by medeli and I have my own opinion about medeli quality.

Everyone was recycling the same tech as long as they could for the low end piano market, but now casio radically decided to refresh it in a big style. So in fact unless yamaha come up with a radical new design for P and Roland decides to put new supernatural to their lowest models (not happening), the low end is now  captured by casio, because for the money it smokes out other lowest piano model out there with the features. Looking at this I would not be surprised if roland bails out from the bellow $1k market entirely.

5 hours ago, oscar1 said:

There is no surprise why we admire these new privias. There are really three companies that have models in the low end piano market: yamaha with the P series. casio with the px. Roland has FP series. That's it, everyone else is aiming for the $1k and above.  I don't count korg and their sp models because those are build by medeli and I have my own opinion about medeli quality.

Everyone was recycling the same tech as long as they could for the low end piano market, but now casio radically decided to refresh it in a big style. So in fact unless yamaha come up with a radical new design for P and Roland decides to put new supernatural to their lowest models (not happening), the low end is now  captured by casio, because for the money it smokes out other lowest piano model out there with the features. Looking at this I would not be surprised if roland bails out from the bellow $1k market entirely.

FP-30 has  SuperNatural engine with PHA-4 keyboard.

21 hours ago, Chandler Holloway said:

Brad is correct. Both the new PX-S and CDP-S models have new, slimmer actions. I wonder if the S stands for slim!

I just want to clarify that the keys themselves are slimmer. The entirety of the case is slim, including the mechanism beneath/behind the keys, but the visible/playable portions of the keys are full size.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichF said:

I just want to clarify that the keys themselves are slimmer. The entirety of the case is slim, including the mechanism beneath/behind the keys, but the visible/playable portions of the keys are full size.

Thanks Rich. Also worth noting that the simulated ebony and ivory texturing on the keys has been brought to the CDP-S line, when in the past only the Privias and the CGP-700 had it. The CDP-130 and 135 were untextured, even if still weighted/graded.

So, I went ahead and pre-ordered the PX-S3000, the stand, and the three pedal unit. I have very little space in my apartment for a keyboard and I appreciate the short depth of the keyboard. Does anybody know how deep the stand is? The keyboard itself is only nine inches deep. The stand has  little feet so it must be deeper than nine inches.

So, I read through the thread. RichF says that the keys are slimmer and then says that visible/playable portions of the keys are full size. I'm a bit confused by that. What is slimmer in regards to the keys?

Does anybody think the Yamaha FP-30 is better than the PX-S3000? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LarryK said:

So, I went ahead and pre-ordered the PX-S3000, the stand, and the three pedal unit. I have very little space in my apartment for a keyboard and I appreciate the short depth of the keyboard. Does anybody know how deep the stand is? The keyboard itself is only nine inches deep. The has  little feet so it must be deeper than nine inches.

So, I read through the thread. Chandler says that the keys are slimmer and then says that visible/playable portions of the keys are full size. I'm a bit confused by that. What is slimmer in regards to the keys?

Does anybody think the Yamaha FP-30 is better than the PX-S3000? 

Roland FP-30(not Yamaha) It is definitely friendly to people surrounding you
In my opinion, it is crucial in a limited space environment.

10 minutes ago, LarryK said:

So, I read through the thread. Chandler says that the keys are slimmer and then says that visible/playable portions of the keys are full size. I'm a bit confused by that. What is slimmer in regards to the keys?

"Slimmer" is in regards to the internal structure of the action.  What's visible to the player outside of the keyboard has not changed in size from previous Casio Privia models.   

The CS-68 stand dimensions, I don't know yet.