Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X5000 and microphone issue

floralsumia

Hello everyone, so i bought CT-X5000 a few days ago, and im trying to get my head around it. I have a dynamic mic which is AKG-D5, and im plugging it into the "Mic In" with volume of mic and the keyboard in the middle level, and when the keyboard is off, just like recommended on the user guide. But i can't hear my voice through the spekears. Why is this? 

Make sure the mixer channel for the mic is turned on and turned up.

1. Press and hold the mixer button to open the mixer. 

2. Press the part button to open the mixer part group selection menu. The red part button lamp will turn on.  Use the + / - buttons to select 1-1 External part group. Press the part button again to exit part group selection.  The red part button light will turn off. 

3. Make sure Part is turned on.  Use the +/- buttons to toggle the setting.

4. Use the up or down cursor buttons to select Volume.  Make sure volume is set to a usable level.  Max is 127. 

• Like 1

Now i tried my phone into audio input, and then my guitar into mic. They both can be played through the speaker. Excited to have seen that. My mic doesnt have an off/on switch. I have a electric guitar amp, can i test the cable and mic on that? I really have no other idea where i can test them on. Im gonna post a picture of the cable im using if i can. 

47 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Yes, it can be tested with the guitar amp. 

I did, but it doesnt work on the amp either. Hrm, might be the cable i guess? Not my mic hopefully bcs i have had it only for a year and only tried it with pc for a few times. Oh, can i do any connection with normal mic cable to the audio interface and from there to keyboard, just to see its not my mic but the cable? (I could try it on pc but my mic driver didnt work on my laptop back when i tried)-- Sorry, misremembered. I guess it was my audio interface's driver that was not working on this laptop

Edited by floralsumia

I took the cable to the store today, they plugged my mic into an amp with that cable. And it worked. So nothing is wrong with the cable. But it still doesnt work on my keyboard. I dont understand why. Wanted to make sure if this cable is really suitable for my keybord?

20190331_210045.jpg

I think I see the problem now, written on that package. You have a TRS balanced to XLR cable.  The keyboard mic jack is an unbalanced jack.  Look for a TS unbalanced cable to XLR cable.  That should work.  I've seen another Casio user run into same issue recently and reported that a TS unbalanced cable fixed the issue.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

I think I see the problem now, written on that package. You have a TRS balanced to XLR cable.  The keyboard mic jack is an unbalanced jack.  Look for a TS unbalanced cable to XLR cable.  That should work.  I've seen another Casio user run into same issue recently and reported that a TS unbalanced cable fixed the issue.  

Thank you so much again, next time i'll go there i will ask for that. 

Brad sorry to butt in. I bet this is a pro low impedance mike? If it is, you will need an impedance matching adapter, as I am guessing the CTX audio input is high impedance. In simple or maybe not so simple terms, the AKG mike, especially since it uses an XLR balanced connector and this is almost always designed for a low impedance pro mike, the mike is not able to deliver a hot enough signal to the CTX input. You need the transformer.....like this.

163498636084?hash=item2611473334:g:S6kAAhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-XLR-Female-LO-Z-to-1-4-TS-Male-HI-Z-Microphone-Input-Impedance-Transformer/163498636084?hash=item2611473334:g:S6kAAOSwnh5cRkPl

and then you will need a standard male/female 3-pin mike cable. This is also why your mike did not work with your pc which is also high impedance. With an added 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch audio adapter connected to this  cable and the transformer, your mike will work with your computer input also. An alternate solution would be to buy a high impedance mike. These are generally less money and are available everywhere. All the cheap Chinese mikes now being made to look like expensive condenser mikes for computers are really high impedance, but I would be skeptical about trying one.

Brad is correct. The Mic In is a mono (unbalanced, TS) connection, so you’ll need a mono cable for it. This is why your guitar worked properly when the mic did not. Stereo cables (TRS, Tip Ring Sleeve) are distinguished by the extra ring on the jack, which provides three separate connections: Left channel audio, right channel audio, and ground. TS cables (Tip Sleeve) only have one audio channel and ground, which makes them ideal for mono sound sources like mics, guitars and certain analog synths.

2 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Personally, I would start with the unbalanced cable and test it.  It should work fine. The CT-X's impedance load is in close range of AKG's recommendation.  A high impedance load would be 10,000 Ohms or more.  That sort of load would need a matching transformer for this mic.

Do you think it would do any harm to the mic bcs its above what they are recommending?