PX-S3000: Question about Knobs

@SonnyDaye Knob functions are assignable in predefined knob sets that encompass both knobs.  There is a set where you can adjust the balance between upper 1 and upper 2 and there is another knob set that can be used for lower volume level.  Tempo is not available.  The chart below shows everything available.  Column 1 shows the knob set names and columns 2 and 3 show what the knobs will do for each set.

ZomboDroid 06052019122912.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Well, how? The table you posted doesn't say anything about CC Codes? I already went through the manual. Nothing found.

Sorry, apparently we misinterpreted your question.  Can you put modulation (vibrato) or any other CC's on the knobs?  Yes. The chart shows what is available besides vibrato.  Can all CC numbers can be assigned?  No, the sets are predetermined.     

On 5/6/2019 at 10:36 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Sorry, apparently we misinterpreted your question.  Can you put modulation (vibrato) or any other CC's on the knobs?  Yes. The chart shows what is available besides vibrato.  Can all CC numbers can be assigned?  No, the sets are predetermined.     

Sorry, but controlling vibrato on an internal tone is not the same as sending CC#1 over MIDI. Manuals from other Casio pianos (e.g. PX-560) explicitly document the possibility of sending CC codes, but the PX-S3000 doesn't. Looks strange to me. 

Sorry for being so fussy about this, but this would be a crucial functionality for me. 

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Please explain.     

I want to play virtual instruments through MIDI on my PC. These instruments can receive and react on mod wheel and expression pedal input. Mod wheel is CC#1, expression pedal is CC#11. So I need one of the knobs to send CC#1 and I hope(!) an expression pedal connected to the PX-S3000 sends CC#11 (is that so?).

See, for example, Keyscape from Spectrasonics: https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Keyscape/11/en/topic/midi

There I need CC#11 for expression pedal and the CC command for the mod wheel is even configurable (how luxury). So in this case I would even be satisfied if the knobs of the PX-S3000 send ANY CC command via MIDI, so that Keyscape can learn it. A reference of those command numbers would be nice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 1:15 PM, SonnyDaye said:

Can they be used for:

-Volume of INDIVIDUAL parts of a LAYER?

-Volume of INDIVIDUAL parts of a SPLIT?

-Tempo?

Volume:

Knob Set 8 allows control of Layer Balance (Upper 1 & 2)

Knob Set 10 allows control of Lower Volume

Unfortunately, there isn't a set which allows Layer Balance on one knob and Lower Volume on the other. That would be my wish.

Tempo:

There is no control of tempo via the knobs, but you can control tempo with an expression pedal.

On 5/8/2019 at 12:01 PM, Headhunter said:

I want to play virtual instruments through MIDI on my PC. These instruments can receive and react on mod wheel and expression pedal input. Mod wheel is CC#1, expression pedal is CC#11. So I need one of the knobs to send CC#1 and I hope(!) an expression pedal connected to the PX-S3000 sends CC#11 (is that so?).

See, for example, Keyscape from Spectrasonics: https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Keyscape/11/en/topic/midi

There I need CC#11 for expression pedal and the CC command for the mod wheel is even configurable (how luxury). So in this case I would even be satisfied if the knobs of the PX-S3000 send ANY CC command via MIDI, so that Keyscape can learn it. A reference of those command numbers would be nice.

Headhunter, I just ran some tests with the MIDI monitor in Pianoteq 6 and can confirm that the PX-S3000 will do what you want. I have a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal hooked up to my PX-S3000 with Pedal Target set to Expression and it sends CC#11 to Pianoteq. Knob Set #7 (seen in the chart Brad shared above) causes Knob 2 to send CC#11.

The majority of the Knob Sets on the PX-S3000 send CC messages from both knobs. These are preset only, but as you already mentioned, it won't matter which two CC# messages they send since you can map them to any parameter you want in your Keyscape app using MIDI Learn.

Here's a list of what each Knob Set sends. You'll notice that some knobs send on different channels, multiple channels or not at all. Knob Set 8 does some weird stuff like sending inverse values on different channels since it is controlling multiple parameters in the PX-S3000 for the desired function. Sets 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 behave normally as MIDI controllers: The knob all the way down sends a value of 0, and the knob all the way up sends a value of 127.

Hope all this is useful to anyone wondering if the PX-S3000 will work for you as a MIDI controller. 

PX-S3000 Knob Set MIDI Controllers
Knob
Set
Knob 1 Knob 2
CC# Channel CC# Channel
1 74 1 71 1
2 - - 91 1
3 93 1 91 1
4 73 1 72 1
5 76 1 77 1
6 78 1 77 1
7 65, 5 1 1 1
8 7 1, 2, 5 - -
9 10 1 10 2
10 7 3 10 3
11 93 1, 2, 3 91 1, 2, 3
12 - - - -
13 - - - -
14 - - - -
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, rodmusic said:

Headhunter, I just ran some tests with the MIDI monitor in Pianoteq 6 and can confirm that the PX-S3000 will do what you want.

[...]

Hope all this is useful to anyone wondering if the PX-S3000 will work for you as a MIDI controller. 

That was exactly what I was looking for. Now I see a way, HOW I could accomplish my configuration. Thank you very much for your effort, rodmusic.

Unfortunately, the PX-S3000 isn't on top of my list anymore due to the fact that the MIDI controller capabilities are quite rudimentary (to be honest: your findings are proof of that) and also due to the announcement here in the forum that there are no plans for firmware updates for the PX-S series.

I almost bought the old PX-5S, but although the model is nice, it is quite old. So I decided to wait a bit longer, perhaps Casio releases a successor to the PX-5S soon.

20 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Unfortunately, the PX-S3000 isn't on top of my list anymore due to the fact that the MIDI controller capabilities are quite rudimentary (to be honest: your findings are proof of that) and also due to the announcement here in the forum that there are no plans for firmware updates for the PX-S series.

Can't argue with that. I've been using a Yamaha P-90 as my studio controller for years, but I've now replaced it with the PX-S3000. The P-90 has a wonderful action, but it is very limited as a controller and doesn't even send the full ranges of note velocities. I used the awesome and free MidiPipe app to remap velocity curves and foot controllers when using it with GarageBand and PianoTeq. MidiPipe has some pretty extensive remapping and filtering capabilities. It will make the PX-S3000 a much more powerful controller than it was designed to be.

I'm also looking forward to what Casio has in store for the sequels to the PX-560 and PX-5S. The PX-S3000 is keeping me pretty happy during the wait.

• Like 1

At some point during my "decision process" I considered combining the PX-S3000 with the SL Mixface controller by Studiologic. You connect that baby between your PX-S3000 and your PC via USB and it will transform your PX-S3000 to a full 4-zone Master keyboard with additional knobs, sliders and even DAW control. And these controls can fully be customized.

https://www.studiologic-music.com/products/mixface/

• 5 months later...

Sorry for hijacking an old thread but this is related.

I'm interested in purchasing the PX-S3000 but would just like to check whether a particular usage scenario is possible... 

I would like to be able to use the internal sounds at the same time as the keyboard controlling an external sound via midi. Ideally I would like to have for example a main piano sound, with an internal strings sound as a layer that I can control the volume of with one of the knobs, while the other knob controls the volume of an external sound via midi. Having looked at the documentation it looks like it should be possible but my concern is whether the second knob would also be changing the parameter of an internal sound at the same time as controlling the volume of the external sound via midi. Is there any way of assigning the second knob so it only controls the external midi volume without affecting an internal parameter?  

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

3 hours ago, jaykay said:

Sorry for hijacking an old thread but this is related.

I'm interested in purchasing the PX-S3000 but would just like to check whether a particular usage scenario is possible... 

I would like to be able to use the internal sounds at the same time as the keyboard controlling an external sound via midi. Ideally I would like to have for example a main piano sound, with an internal strings sound as a layer that I can control the volume of with one of the knobs, while the other knob controls the volume of an external sound via midi. Having looked at the documentation it looks like it should be possible but my concern is whether the second knob would also be changing the parameter of an internal sound at the same time as controlling the volume of the external sound via midi. Is there any way of assigning the second knob so it only controls the external midi volume without affecting an internal parameter?  

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks

This is a scenario that the PX-5S is perfectly designed for.  The PX-5S has 4 zones and each zone has 3 ON/OFF output switches.  Each zone can be configured to control the internal sound engine, a USB MIDI device and a DIN MIDI device, any one of them or any combination.  The S3000 does not have those settings.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2019 at 9:38 PM, Rod Tompkins said:

Headhunter, I just ran some tests with the MIDI monitor in Pianoteq 6 and can confirm that the PX-S3000 will do what you want. I have a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal hooked up to my PX-S3000 with Pedal Target set to Expression and it sends CC#11 to Pianoteq. Knob Set #7 (seen in the chart Brad shared above) causes Knob 2 to send CC#11.

The majority of the Knob Sets on the PX-S3000 send CC messages from both knobs. These are preset only, but as you already mentioned, it won't matter which two CC# messages they send since you can map them to any parameter you want in your Keyscape app using MIDI Learn.

Here's a list of what each Knob Set sends. You'll notice that some knobs send on different channels, multiple channels or not at all. Knob Set 8 does some weird stuff like sending inverse values on different channels since it is controlling multiple parameters in the PX-S3000 for the desired function. Sets 1, 3, 4, 5 and 6 behave normally as MIDI controllers: The knob all the way down sends a value of 0, and the knob all the way up sends a value of 127.

PX-S3000 Knob Set MIDI Controllers
Knob
Set
Knob 1 Knob 2
CC# Channel CC# Channel
1 74 1 71 1
2 - - 91 1
3 93 1 91 1
4 73 1 72 1
5 76 1 77 1
6 78 1 77 1
7 65, 5 1 1 1
8 7 1, 2, 5 - -
9 10 1 10 2
10 7 3 10 3
11 93 1, 2, 3 91 1, 2, 3
12 - - - -
13 - - - -
14 - - - -

no-one noticed there is no CC1 there?

• 1 month later...

Why would there not be a knob setting that has volume adjustments for the upper and lower split part?  This seems like such a basic obvious function that is needed. I know there is a lower modify, and there are workarounds using that plus adjusting the upper part vol in the menu, but having this assigned to the knobs would make life much easier for gigging.  Is there a way to program this as its not in the factory knob settings options.