Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S3000 MIDI Note off velocity transmission

KennyC

On 7/5/2019 at 8:56 AM, Brad Saucier said:

Auto resume.  Turning on auto resume saves the keyboard setup when you power off.  Everything will be as you left it.  Yes, there is a local control setting.  All of this is under the function menu.

Just a note that the pedal settings that crimson noise described are retained with the auto resume setting.  However, turning local off is not retained via auto resume.  So I have to do that every time since I'm using this keyboard primarily as a VSTi controller. 

The manual on the two pages that show MIDI for the PX-S3000: under the Function column, Velocity, Transmitted: Note ON 09nHv = 1 - 127 and for Note OFF 08nHv = 0 - 127.  

Am I reading this correctly in that the PX-S3000 should be sending Note OFF velocity variable from 0 - 127?  I ask this because when I am trying to set up a velocity curve in PianoTeq, all is fine in the Notes On, but when it gets to the Note Off part.  It says after the End of NOTE-ON calibration - "Apparently, your keyboard does not send NOTE-OFF velocity when the keys are released, so we will skip that part, and proceed to the sustain pedal calibration."  I've tried this several times and get the same message.  So, am I miss-reading the MIDI chart or does the PX-S3000 indeed send MIDI NOTE OFF velocity?  

Thanks!

Kenny

note off pianoteq.JPG

Had some time this evening to check velocity of Note Off in Midi-Ox.  Same result as in Pianoteq, only one velocity parameter for Note Off and that is 64.  So either the manual is wrong, I am really miss-reading it, I have a defective keyboard, or there is something that I don't know about.  

midi ox note on note off.JPG

casio midi 1.JPG

I have the PX-S3000, PX-560, Pianoteq, and Midi-Ox.  For the PX-S3000 my findings are similar to yours KennyC.  I confirmed the PX-560 does transmit note off velocity using Pianoteq and Midi-Ox midi monitors. So far I have not been able to find a way to transmit note off velocity from the PX-S3000.  In the midi implementation chart data, it shows O 8nH v=1-127, but I am not sure if this means it should transmit note OFF velocity 0-127.

• Thanks 1

You're reading the manual correctly, however that spec in the chart is most likely an error.  The only portable models that I know transmit 0-127 note off velocity are the PX-5S and PX-560.  The rest of them should be sending a fixed value of 64.  

Note I split off this thread into it's own topic.

To all the experienced people here. I understand what MIDI off velocity is, but is it important to have? Do many other stage piano have this feature or is it more common to not have it. I'm wondering what I miss with not having it with the px-100/3000?