Video Files on Forum ×

Problem with sending midi from computer to keyboard

Artlor

Hi.

I connected a keyboard with my PC via midi USB cable and want to send midi form my DAW to keyboard, so is plays the sound I have set on this keyboard which will be then sent to my audio interface and recorded in DAW.

I just want to type midi notes on my computer and record audio from my keyboard with these notes.

I used midi out plugin in FL studio and I got a problem here. The notes from DAW does not seem to leave it, nothing plays. When I choose some preset sound on this midi out plugin, like a piano, it obviously plays there, but what's interesting, the led indicator on my audio interface shows that some signal is passing through. It's like the daw is sending it's signal to my keyboard which in turn sends the signal to audio interface. It's weird.

I'm confused. I can't play my favourite sounds from keyboard this way, but the preset sounds in midi out plugin seems to go through the keyboard and then to audio interface. 

Does anyone have any ideas how I could make it work?

I got midi port and channels set up correctly.

My keyboard is Casio CT-X5000, I'm using standard USB printer cable for midi connection.

Yes I am getting sound there, but it's not the sound I'd want. My DAW has a midi out plugin I am using for sending midi notes to my keyboard. Now this same plugin has some preset sounds and the default one is piano, for some reason I can't unable it. Sounds from this plugin's default piano preset seems to go to my keyboard and then to my audio interface. I know that because the led indicator keep lighting up on my audio interface when I hit play in DAW. 

So midi out plugin seems to send audio instead of midi data to my Casio keyboard. I can't play its sounds (my keybord's sounds), only the ones from midi out plugin, which is of course useless because if I wanted to do that I'd just straight play them sending midi into the daw with keyboard (which works fine).

Ports and channels are all set correctly.

I do everything as in this video, but it just does not work:

I have no idea what's going on.

57 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

You should be getting sound from the CT-X speakers or headphone output if the keyboard is receiving MIDI data.  Are you getting sound there?

And thanks for reaching out! I forgot to reply in my first post, so I do it now so you will hopefully get a notification. Cheers!

The CT-X3000 and X5000 have a 48 part sound engine rather than the typical 16 parts found on other keyboards.  That expanded capability means that MIDI IN addresses 16 parts that are fully independent from the 16 parts that the keyboard is controlling internally.  That means tones you select on the keyboard won't select tones for MIDI IN.  To select tones for MIDI IN, you'll need to send the bank and program change information from your DAW.  The appendix for your keyboard has a list of tones and the appropriate bank and program change information to select each tone.  To make things easier, Casio has created patch script files for the CT-X series for several DAW platforms.  Those files are intended to be "installed" in the DAW software. Once setup, it allows you to choose tones from within the software without needing to input bank and program change data manually.  Unfortunately a patch script for FL Studio is not available.  I'm not even sure FL Studio supports patch scripts.  I'll link the page with the available patch scripts below in case anyone reading this is using software that patch scripts are available for.  Several DAW brands are supported.  In the case of using software without a patch script, you'll need to use the CTX appendix and those bank program changes listed for each tone.  

https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20&_ga=2.15016434.590312296.1568909080-799922217.1560314518

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

The CT-X3000 and X5000 have a 48 part sound engine rather than the typical 16 parts found on other keyboards.  That expanded capability means that MIDI IN addresses 16 parts that are fully independent from the 16 parts that the keyboard is controlling internally.  That means tones you select on the keyboard won't select tones for MIDI IN.  To select tones for MIDI IN, you'll need to send the bank and program change information from your DAW.  The appendix for your keyboard has a list of tones and the appropriate bank and program change information to select each tone.  To make things easier, Casio has created patch script files for the CT-X series for several DAW platforms.  Those files are intended to be "installed" in the DAW software. Once setup, it allows you to choose tones from within the software without needing to input bank and program change data manually.  Unfortunately a patch script for FL Studio is not available.  I'm not even sure FL Studio supports patch scripts.  I'll link the page with the available patch scripts below in case anyone reading this is using software that patch scripts are available for.  Several DAW brands are supported.  In the case of using software without a patch script, you'll need to use the CTX appendix and those bank program changes listed for each tone.  

https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=20&_ga=2.15016434.590312296.1568909080-799922217.1560314518

I had no idea about script patches. Well you explained it all and now I know why it does not work as I'd want it to. Is this the appendix you mentioned? https://support.casio.com/storage/en/manual/pdf/EN/008/Web_14M3APPEND-WL-1A_2A_EN.pdf

How can I use it once I have access to it? I've never done something like this before.

Yes, that's the appendix.  You'll see the tone chart has columns for bank and program change numbers.  Your DAW software should have a way to input those numbers and send the data to the keyboard.   I'm not familiar with FL Studio so I don't know the specifics on how to make that happen.  You'll need to consult FL Studio help for that part.  

17 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Yes, that's the appendix.  You'll see the tone chart has columns for bank and program change numbers.  Your DAW software should have a way to input those numbers and send the data to the keyboard.   I'm not familiar with FL Studio so I don't know the specifics on how to make that happen.  You'll need to consult FL Studio help for that part.  

Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out now (how to input them into DAW, since FL studio seems to have some problems with it). Thank you a lot for your help, Brad.

Have a good day.

PS I don't know how to delete my previous post, so I'll just leave it.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I think I understand this one.  Your computer probably has a GM soundcard built into it.  This used to throw me for a loop.  It may automatically default to that turned on.  midi out is a different selection, but sometimes when you get that sound from the soundcard, you have to turn it off.  All you want is the midi driver.  When I am not pushing sounds back to my casio, many times while using a VST I actually have all of those including the midi out shut off so I have nothing checked except midi in.  

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/21/2019 at 4:17 PM, Artlor said:

Yeah, I'm trying to figure this out now. Thank you a lot for your help, Brad.

Have a good day.

Hello @Artlor, I was happy to read somewhere over the net that you finally managed to make this work with FL (EX Fruity loops) and you just had to know that while "Ableton Live" software counts from number 1 for both Program change and Bank , the FL software starts counting for banks from number 0. And that was the reason you could not have the keyboard play with the desired tone on the ct-x keyboard. That's very good news 'cause I was a bit puzzled pretty much before, having read all this.

So, if you could take a min and post here some more details about the way you made the configurations on FL for messages to be send correctly I guess we would be grateful !! Basically any piece of info is very welcome..Thanks!