Video Files on Forum ×

CGP-700

SNT

Greetings. I have had the Casio CGP-700 for a little over a year ago. I purchased it originally because of the keybed 

action which is fairly piano like and the recording capabilities, MIDI and Audio. After using this keyboard for the

previously mentioned time, I have some comments and observations. First, and let me say this is MY opinion -

if you're mainly a pianist and want to do some audio recording with a few decent sounds, and you don't mind dropping $799,

then by all means think about buying this keyboard!If you're a pianist/musician who wants to record using MIDI, I think you'll be disappointed.

Yes, you get 17 tracks and all that, but the MIDI implementation on this instrument is sorely lacking and frustrating. In fact I believe there are some bugs, surprise, surprise!

Also, the sound engine is not the AIR engine in PX models. The piano and electric piano sounds are not too bad. But for brass, strings and other orchestrals- NO!

Now, this could be just MY keyboard, but the most frustrating thing is the audio output, intermittently,  makes a loud, very loud sound when any key is hit.Turning the keyboard off, doesn't fix the problem. It seems to go away by itself at some point. The biggest drawback for me with this problem is that as a pianist/composer, to capture ideas quickly, I want to hit record and play

Once the idea is gone - it's gone! Again, it is not my attempt to malign this product, but in my case. for the reasons I've stated, I am not happy with it and am currently looking to replace it.

I would welcome any comments from users as well as Casio. Thanks.

This is not a typical Privia malfunction-I have the 560 and earlier 350 with the AIR engine plus a CDP230R which I believe has a similar sound engine to the CGP700, definitely not quite as good as AIR ut wasn't designed to be. Have had no such malfunctions when playing or using the audio or midi (song) recorders. The CGP has 17 tracks-recordable? Didn't know that. Have you contacted Casio tech support, and is this under warranty-I have had success with 2 Casios needing repair-through my own fault although neither was under warranty. Seems like too nice a digital piano to let go as a total loss, this must be repairable.

Thanks for your reply. Let me say that as a digital piano, the Casio CGP-700, has a lot of functionality for a keyboard in it's price range. Especially the touch screen for navigation - a nice selling point. However, due to the problems I've been having with this keyboard I'm switching over to software based recording with a midi-controller keyboard approach.

Yes, the MIDI recorder does have 17 tracks - 16 tracks +  the System track. Beware however, when you record with MIDI, the default will set to record on the system track.

It contains MIDI data but no notes when transmitted if I understand it correctly. If you play back what you recorded on the keyboard you will hear what you recorded. But, if you save it as a MIDI file and port it to another program for processing, things get interesting. Example, I ported a saved MIDI file from The Casio CGP-700 into Finale to play and  notate an improvisation. Because it was recorded on the Casio System track, no data comes over.Also, if you use the accompaniment for drums, it records to the System track. If you want to record percussion parts and have them port to another product you have to 'play' the drums on the keyboard. I'm passing on information I've learned while exploring hoping it may save some folks time working with this instrument.

I wanted to thank Mike Martin for his response to my post.

I have watched a number of his videos

about Casio products and found them very helpful.

Again, my intent was not to say this was not a good digital piano- it is, overall. 

Checked this out further-most of the operating system is identical to my PX560, very nice including the mixer and 2 recorders. But I'm posting to correct my comparison to the CDP-the CGP apparently uses a more realistic sound design for the acoustic pianos, closer to the AIR sound design than to the AHL used in the CDP230/235/240. And 128 voice polyphony-the CDP only has 64. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a follow up to my Casio CGP-700 story. The keyboard now continues to make the loud distortion sound when any key is pressed. Where the keyboard was intermittently working,it is now unusable and not working at all. Looking for advice on how to get a replacement keyboard as this is under warranty. Who should I contact and how to proceed. Thank you.

Steve

• 9 months later...

I have owned the CASIO CGP-700 since 2016. I was aware that the piano sound was not as realistic as the PX-360 or PX-870 that uses the chip with the AiR processor. However, when I tested it before buying it I liked the piano sound and thought the tradeoff was a good one considering all the other instrumental and effects features. 

Fortunately my unit didn't have the same flaws that SNT reported on his instrument. However, there is one negative experience I wish to report. The keyboard in simulating an acoustic piano action is very noisy. When I use it with my headphones on the clacking noise drives my wife crazy. It defeats one of the reasons I got this instrument. Also, when I record video of me playing, these keyboard clacking sounds do get recoded. I would have to place my iPhone at a distance to minimize these sounds. I did find a work around.

I hooked up an iRig Stream that allows me to record the analog sound of the piano directly while recording the video, thereby eliminating extraneous noises. The overall sound quality is also excellent this way. I can use headphones or not, as the situation warrants. 

After a a few hours heavy practicing, it is fun to jam with myself using the auto accompaniment features that are built in. 

Let's face it, the CGP-700 is not perfect. There are other digital pianos that sound better. But not my much. It provides features and benefits that would cost much more with other manufacturers. Hence, I highly recommend the CASIO CGP-700 for beginners as well as more advanced musicians. 

The demo pieces for promoting this instrument that CASIO provides built in sound simply amazing. I am looking for MIDI files created specifically for the CASIO CGP-700 by experts so that I can enjoy listening to the sounds that others create. If you know where I can find these, please let me know. The genre can be pop, jazz, latin or Classical. 

Thanks! 

Good quality midi files are harder to come by now for whatever reason i do not know. I have a huge database of midi files-one in particular-is strictly jazz/pop, has some amazing arrangements-are general midi but will play on the CGP, I use these all the time in the PX560.350. PM me and I will upload a zip file-there are over one hundred-many are pop and jazz standards to, but some originals. And years ago I purchased a CD fromeBay or Amazon that promised to have 100,000 midi files-it does, but one has to weed out alot of stinkers. If you are looking for classical quality midi files-might want to take a look at Musescore-which is more for printed scores (I find some useful scores there) but it also has a function where you can find scores and export to midi, or vice versa. Notation from midi is not always perfect-but looking at schumann's "Reverie" "Traumeri" I can listen as a midi and print the score, and it's pretty accurate. Careful-many of these "music download" websites are poor-and worst case scenario have viruses, trojans or spyware. 

• 5 months later...

I want to buy a second digital piano for a second location.  I am beginner/med level.   I bought the CGP-700 in 2016.   It seems that it is not on the Casio website at this point in 2021.  I haven't looked carefully but it seems that the color display that the CGP-700 isn't on any of the latest products.  Is that true? 

When i purchased the GCP-700 I thought a large color display would be useful for getting around compared to the menus I've occasionally encountered on other pianos when I trying them out.  I like the color display and I've gotten used to the one on the CGP-700 now but its not a requirement for a new digital piano because I really only play in the menus a little when practicing.  This is all to say that I an open to a new model.

I like the weighted key feeling of the CGP-700 and it gets a lot of good reviews but I could go to something else too.  Especially if it is mechanically quieter.  noisy keys mentioned above are the one problem I have with the CGP-700.  

So what is a replacement for the CGP-700, or what's a next level up (not too much more expensive)?

The CGP-700 is closely related to the PX-360 and PX-560. All three have the same keyboard action, the same chassis, and the same color touch display. (The PX-160 has the same action and similar chassis, but no display.)

Casio now makes the PX-S series. These have a more compact action, a smaller chassis, and improved sounds. I'd have to refresh myself on the current prices to compare, but they are out there. There is also the CDP-S series that have a similar upgrade in features such as sounds and size, you'd probably want to look at the CDP-S350 if that's what you're interested in. The CDP-S is a bit more oriented towards home use (no 1/4" output jacks for instance).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

The CGP-700 is closely related to the PX-360 and PX-560. All three have the same keyboard action, the same chassis, and the same color touch display. (The PX-160 has the same action and similar chassis, but no display.)

Casio now makes the PX-S series. These have a more compact action, a smaller chassis, and improved sounds. I'd have to refresh myself on the current prices to compare, but they are out there. There is also the CDP-S series that have a similar upgrade in features such as sounds and size, you'd probably want to look at the CDP-S350 if that's what you're interested in. The CDP-S is a bit more oriented towards home use (no 1/4" output jacks for instance).

Sorry to ask naive questions but: 

When you say "more compact action" is that generally preferred as to be closer to an acoustic piano?    EDIT:  I am looking at 16 different Casio pianos on an online site page.  Some are described as "Scaled Hammer Action" and others are "Smart Scaled Hammer Action".   Do they feel different or is it just more expressiveness in the dynamics of the sound.   The smart scaled seems to be on some of the less expensive models, like PX-S1100.

Also improved sounds: is that better samples or synths, or do you mean the acoustics of the speakers.    

I am rethinking things and might prefer to not have the extra bulk of a particle board frame like on the CGP-700.  I like it and looks decent but I'm thinking a folding X frame keyboard stand might suffice where I intend to use it and if the sound is not too bad coming directly out of the PX-560 or the PX-S1100 it might be more convenient when I need to move it.   and if the sound coming out of the internal is really not adequate (the sound from the CGP-700 was fine for me) I could get some cheap external speakers.  So I'd like to buy something with even better weighted key action and better sounds, that sounds okay through the speakers in the keyboard and as mentioned I could even get buy without the color display if I am just bouncing around between a dozen nice piano, synth and organ sounds.

The PX-560 is almost twice the price of the PX-S1100.  Besides the color display that i don't really need what makes it a nicer digital piano?

Are some options more friendly for using MIDI via a laptop?  Do I want to make sure I get a model with a USB connection, as some models mention USB connections and other don't.   (I'm assuming that USB connection is the most convenient way to do MIDI these days.  I played around with MIDI back in the eighties when they used dedicated MIDI cables.)

Edited by SteveK

hammer_action.jpg 

This image shows the action in the PX-x60 series vs. the newer PX-S series. This has allowed Casio to make the overall keyboard smaller in depth, while still feeling great. The photo shows the PX-160 next to a PX-S, and you can see how much smaller the PX-S is.

You can take the CGP-700 off the stand and use it that way like any of the PX-x60 models.

ALL of the sounds on the newer models are considered better, pianos and all else. Some of the tech that went into the Grand Hybrid models made its way into the PX-s series, resulting in a much more expressive and realistic piano sound. The tech of the built-in speakers is improved as well. That being said, the CGP-700 has those speakers in the stand, so in some respects that might sound better. The PX-S models do sound great, though.

AFAIK, all the Casio models being discussed have MIDI over USB. I'm not sure of any that don't but I could be forgetting.

IMG_0309.JPG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SteveK said:

The PX-560 is almost twice the price of the PX-S1100.  Besides the color display that i don't really need what makes it a nicer digital piano?

PX-560 has an advanced 6 layer synthesizer for creating custom tones.  It also has fully assignable knobs, pedals and modulation wheel.  It has traditional MIDI IN and OUT ports.  It also supports expression pedals.  This in addition to everything your CGP-700 already has (minus the stand with additional speakers).  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Followup:

In the interest of trying another brand for my second digital piano (and I don't own an acoustic piano) I thought I'd try a Yamaha.  I bought the P-121  (73 key version of the P-125).  Even though it was limited in the amount of sounds and has no display to help with selecting stuff I figured it would be good enough.  It is nicely made but it sure feels different.  I have smaller hands and a 9th with a 5th or 6th is about as far as I can stretch and even that isn't comfortable.  The action on the Yamaha takes more pressure and is just harder to play.  I wish I had bought another Casio with the similar feel of my CGP-700 which I like. 

But Casio does not make a 73 weighted keyboard.   I want the 73 key size in my second residence because it fits well into a right angle desk piano setup that allows me to work with a computer and digital piano by swiveling my chair.  An 88 doesn't.  

I'm describing this just to encourage Casio to consider making 73 or even 61 key versions of a weighted digital piano.  

But also a bigger wish: that Casio would make a slightly narrower key version that would fit smaller hands.  Some manufacturer is going to do this as the Asian countries begin to dominate the world market.  Why not Casio?