Video Files on Forum ×

Broken keys of Privia PX-120

My Privia PX-120 has loose/fallen keys. It is deeper than the other keys and when you press on one it makes a rattling sound and when it comes back up it makes a thumping sound. If you press on one of the keys a bit harder you can barley hear the note play. Is this something I can fix at home or does it need to go to a repair shop?

That's a tough call to make.

I am assuming this is not under Casio warranty-if it is have them repair it. Even if it isn't I think I'd bring it for repair. You will have to be quite skilled and know how to get the right parts to repair this yourself.  i have tech training specifically for keyboards and still find some of these repairs quite difficult. A question or 2 might help.

1) How did these break-from regular playing, or was there an impact that damaged the keys-this can determine how bad the damage might be inside. Sounds like something is loose or has come apart with the fulcrum arm or even part of the keys plastic underneath.

2) How heavily has this been played-just occasionally or constant regular practice and playing? This can help determine how extensive the damage may be. if you were to open it up for examination and find many other parts that are worn or look likely to break down soon, now you might have to get an entirely different set of parts and do a complete rebuild-you can only assess this if you have had other repair projects experience to compare when new. 

I have disassembled a few older Privias, and it can be done if you are skilled and meticulous with tools and small parts assembly/disassembly. If it is a matter of replacing a key or two, you might be able to do this yourself, as replacement keys are a bit easier to find than for example the fulcrum arms inside or the rubber boots that have carbon contacts inside responsible for the electrical contacts that trigger your tones. And without knowing this particular model, all the Privias I've worked on have individual keys whereas some of the others have a group of keys that must be replaced as an assembly. My XW-P1 and the CTKs are like this but can still be replaced or repaired if you can find a parts supplier.

Look around the web and here at this user group-there are videos and posts showing some photos of the insides of a few different Casios-not exactly a PX120 but will give you some visual idea of how complex or simple this might be for you. Older parts will always be up for grabs but there are a few websites that have some Casio repair parts. i don't believe Casio will allow the "end-user" to purchase parts directly, and they may not have older parts either. Most keyboard manufacturers do not maintain older repair parts for anything which makes it more difficult. I have even fabricated my own parts when I needed to due to nothing available-rebuilding broken keys, cracked IC boards and other parts that just do not exist anywhere anymore, makes repair almost impossible for certain keys. Casios ingeneral have been a lttle easier for my DIY repairs, but I still would rather a Casio tech repair something if I am in doubt re my own abilities and i have done this.  And you are responsible if you do worse damage yourself, and then still need to bring it to a repair tech! Something to think about.

• 7 months later...

I have this same issue. In my case caused by a cat jumping up onto the keyboard. I haven't yet opened it up to assess the damage - did you get to the bottom of yours? Looking at other teardown videos, I guess it could either be the key has become unseated at the back pivot, or it could be broken.