Video Files on Forum ×

Please Mike Martin...Casio Privia PX 5s and his controller problems.

andreastar

Ciao Mike Martin.

I'm so sorry if I address you, but I do not know how to solve a delicate problem after about twenty days, I bought a Casio PX 5s. I wrote several times explaining well my problem on the forum Casio, I asked the neghozio where I bought it, but nobody can help me. I therefore find it impossible to play live this instrument that I recently bought. The Privia PX 5s. I bought it to use it as Master Keyboards and Midi Controller, but it fails to send correct signals to the racks I have, although the connections are regular. The proof is that if I connect my racks to a Yamaha MO8 or a Kronos 61 that I own, it correctly runs midi, every patch of the racks that I connect. The Casio problem occurs when there is a Patch with split sounds (which I created). The problem disappears when I remove patches with split sounds and insert Patches without any splits. Basically it does not play any notes on the keyboard or even does not play whole parts of the sound of the racks that I connect via midi correctly. I repeat with other Keyboards this does not happen. I hope you, in case it is problematic to solve this serious problem for me, you can tell me who could solve it.

Merula in Cherasco-Cuneo-Italy, where I bought it, I absolutely do not know what to say. It's a controller problem ... but I do not know which one and how to solve it. I've tried many solutions.

I hope someone help me understand.

Ciao. Andrea di Torino-Italy

What do you mean by a patch? Do you mean a stage setup? If so, a setup with a split means you are using more than one zone. The PX-5S sends out all data from each of its four zones on a separately defined MIDI channel. (The zones don't have to use separate MIDI channels but they can and they normally would.) Have you ensured that the MIDI output channel for each zone is correct for your particular equipment configuration? 

1 hour ago, andreastar said:

Merula in Cherasco-Cuneo-Italy, where I bought it, I absolutely do not know what to say. It's a controller problem ... but I do not know which one and how to solve it. I've tried many solutions.

I hope someone help me understand.

Ciao. Andrea di Torino-Italy

Ciao, un altro torinese! Ok io sono molto indeciso nell'acquisto di questo, del PX560 o del Roland Juno-DS e sono andato da Scavino a vedere ma sono totalmente indeciso.

Anyway, I think you should look with a Midi log program kile midi-ox what is generated on the MDI port. I suppose that there's a misunderstanding between the MIDI channels sent and received or some strange interaction with OMNY/MONO/POLY settings. I have an old keyboard that in split mode, will send left part on channel 1 and right part on channel 2, and when used in dual layer will send notes on both channels, unless you mute a layer.

4 hours ago, AlenK said:

What do you mean by a patch? Do you mean a stage setup? If so, a setup with a split means you are using more than one zone. The PX-5S sends out all data from each of its four zones on a separately defined MIDI channel. (The zones don't have to use separate MIDI channels but they can and they normally would.) Have you ensured that the MIDI output channel for each zone is correct for your particular equipment configuration? 

Thanks AlenK  

PATCH---- I mean patch... a stage setting created myself on Privia PX 5.

One stage setting with 3/4 sounds on split or layer.  A example on Privia PX 5 ...i put on the left keyboards a electyric piano and Pad togheter. Tho the right zone, analogic Brass.

The same i put on my expander Yamaha Motif Rack...my sounds (Patch i created) with realistic Brass on the right of the keyboards. He doesn't work.

The Privia PX 5s reads different midi signal and i play just same zone on keyboards (not all) and same zone not play at all.

If i put on Privia PX 5s a stage setting with no layer or Split...he work well.

This is my problems.

This problem ther is not if i connect midi my Expander Yamaha to the different keyboards controller....for exemple my Korg Kronos 61 Keys or a Yamaha MO 88 Keys.

Strange really!!!

If i dont able to resolve this one, i can't use Privia PX 5 like Controller.

So ... I tried in every way. No way. It consoles me only one thing: if I connect my Yamaha motif expander via MIDI to any other keyboard that acts as a controller, without making any changes to the MIDI data ... everything works fine.
The privia PX5s has problems as a controller. It does not read what the other keyboards read. The others I used are Korg Krome and Yamaha MO 8.

I bought PX 5 because it has a very good mechanics and a very low weight. I am no longer young and I have problems bringing me to play every live 23 kg ( 49 Lb) of master-keyboards only.
I bought a stage plan that was also advertised as an excellent controller ... but it can not be used as such ... which the other keyboards do on the first connection and without having to change any parameters.

P.S.    Sul mio yamaha expander nel modo performance, non posso mettere canali diversi ad ogni singolo suono. Le performance che uso hanno 3/4 suoni programmati da me con 2 zone split. Quindi inserisco il canale 1 midi o altrimenti il modo OMNI.

I think your problem is some sort of user misunderstanding perhaps aggravated by translation difficulties (translation of the PX-5S manuals, specifically). I say that because other people apparently have been able to use the PX-5S as a MIDI controller without major problems. I'm not even sure exactly what your difficulty is because of the language difference. You need to seek out a PX-5S owner in Italy. 

Thanks for the reply.

I do not know, I seem to have explained everything well.
I have a Privia PX 5s where I put stage settings created by me in split mode, to which I connect a Yamaha Motif Rack where I set stage setting (Performance) with split sounds.
 The problem is made clearer if I connect my expander to other keyboards without touching any parameter at all .... midi messages work and my Yamaha Motif expander sounds correctly with the splits and the sounds I have programmed. I tried to contact the only professional in Italy who was responsible for making videos on youtube of Privia PX 5 s, Mr. Max Tempia, but I think he is very busy and does not answer this serious problem.
If there was a service center I could contact him, but I do not know who to turn to.
The instruction manual ???
I do not think that with 2 instruction booklets of about 30 pages each one we have accurately explained many things about the instrument.
In fact, many other manufacturers make manuals of the instrument with 250 pages or maybe more.

I enclose a file with an internship setting I've created below.
Split mode.
  Electric piano and Pad to the left of the keyboard, 2 types of Brass (with transposition to the lower octave) in the right side of the keyboard
Thanks anyway. Andrea from Turin Italy

SteveWonder.ZPF

Hi Mike, hello everyone.
I have to thank you for the assistance you gave me.
Today, after long days of rehearsals, I managed to make the PX 5s work properly as an external expander controller.
With a stratagem I managed to find a compromise.
Basically on my "stage setting" of the PX 5s, I insert all the layers and all the splits I need. In a position between the 4 sounds that I can edit on the PX 5s, I put the same midi channel, insert a sound with full extension of the keyboard and silence completely (Volume 0) That is not playing, but I do so that I read the midi signals correctly and therefore allows the expander to work in split in the acute area that I need and that I dedicated to the Brass of Motif.
Finally.
thank you all.
Andrea di Torino Italy.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, andreastar said:

I do not think that with 2 instruction booklets of about 30 pages each one we have accurately explained many things about the instrument.
In fact, many other manufacturers make manuals of the instrument with 250 pages or maybe more.

I have a Kawai K5000S I got for "free", in exchange to a couple of repairs of some amplified loudspeakers.  

The guy gave it to me wasn't using it because it was too complex to use and the manual wasn't clear in most cases, and said that was a keyboard made by engineers for engineers.

I still have to figure out a lot of things because the manual doesn't explain at all a lot of things, like the principle of operation, and because has some really strange quirks on the user interface and the principle of operation is difficult to understand. 

So I suppose that when a powerful keyboard is made the manual can't cover all the aspects of the operation. 

A simple stage piano, like a PX160 could have a simple manual because has a few of basic functions. 

Anyway I am happy that you've solved the problem

11 hours ago, andreastar said:

The instruction manual ???

Surprisingly enough, that point has been made here before.

BTW, when I said "translation difficulties" with respect to the manuals I was referring to Casio's difficulties translating from Japanese into other languages (I presume you are using the Italian versions of the manuals). In English the manuals are sometimes hard to understand; I suspect they may be even harder to understand in other languages. 

Andreastar you should consider joining the Facebook users group for the PX5s/560. Someone would have probably had an answer for your Midi issue. There are more users on the Facebook group and you can ask questions there as well. I don't think Mike spends much time on the forums anymore.