Video Files on Forum ×

Auto accompany chord recognition

Tson

Like many (ok, some) players, I play an octave and the middle fifth with my left hand, and a melody line or progression in my right.  I also prefer the "full range chord" mode so I am not restricted to a specified lower region of the keyboard only for chords.  It seems that this simple left hand octave/fifth chording system is not recognized by the MZ as a full chord and therefore does not follow along with auto accompany.  Other arrangers (Yamaha, Korg), at the same price point, do recognize the octave and a fifth, even if I play no other keys at all, and follow along with a simplified accompaniment and rhythm.  The one time I had access to an MZ, I used Full Range and played an octave and a fifth and it didn't follow at all unless I added a fourth note. Example: Playing a C-G-C doesn’t seem to do anything unless I add the E note.  (Page A-4 of the "Basic User's Guide" does show a 5th and 8th, making me think there is supposed to be some recognition.  Please advise if I’m missing something. Thanks.  :)

Edited by Tson
No one was responding, so I thought maybe the Casio fans were mad at me.

I think the answer is on page A2 of the Appendix ...

Unlike Fingered 1, 2, and 3, Full Range Chord  requires pressing of at least three keys to form a  chord.

Casio could have been clearer and noted that the 'three keys' must be unique to the intended chord (octaves not allowed as an octave does not add differentiation)

• Like 1

Thanks.  So, it sounds like playing an octave and a 5th will not produce auto accompany in “full range mode.”  Will it in any other mode?

Does the “Chord Example List” (page A-3) pertain to “Full Range Chords” that are recognized?

What does the 5 and 8 mean on page A-4?

F498F86E-BD54-4917-BCB1-52002E33B630.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Tson said:

Thanks.  So, it sounds like playing an octave and a 5th will not produce auto accompany in “full range mode.”  Will it in any other mode?

Does the “Chord Example List” (page A-3) pertain to “Full Range Chords” that are recognized?

What does the 5 and 8 mean on page A-4?

F498F86E-BD54-4917-BCB1-52002E33B630.jpeg

In fingered 1, 2, or 3 you can use just two notes, a 5th or an 8th  (octave)