Video Files on Forum ×

Suggested Changes to Song Sequencer

Choppin

I'm not sure who I'm directing this to, but if someone from Casio reads it and finds it interesting, or if this post inspires some reworking of the song sequencer, then I'd say that's a good thing. :)

I've been analyzing the files created when a sequence save, phrase save, or save-all action is invoked by the Px-5s either using the USB drive or through the data editor.  Without launching into the detail of the formats, I believe I discovered something that could end up being a problem if the phrases and song sequencer are used a lot and the songs and the phrases are changed often.

In either the song sequencer file or the save-all file, the phrases that play in a song, are referenced by number in the song.  This is a problem because if a phrase is changed, and a song references that phrase, the song will no longer play the phrase information that was originally intended.  This is because the sequence doesn't store the actual phrase, it only stores a reference to the phrase number. 

One work around is to save all, and load that information back in.  Of course, this overwrites your current setup and may not be favorable.

The reason I was analyzing the file types was with the intention of creating a visual display of a complete song sequence, and perhaps an editor, so that all of the patterns, tracks, and timing could be seen at once so that building a sequence could be a little easier.  The initial stumbling block I came upon was that there was no phrase information in the song sequence file.  The references were there, but not the actual phrase data.  I then looked at the save-all file where I did find the phrase data.  It's just harder to track down the song sequence.  If I use the two files, then it's possible to manage - but I'd rather use 1.

A suggestion is to have an option to save a song sequence with the phrase data.  Loading in a sequence of this sort would load in the necessary phrases without having to replace everything as the save-all and load-all options currently do.

Another suggestion, is to have an option to save a song sequence as a midi file.  This would break down all the repeats, time signatures, etc. into the proper measures.  All of the program changes, midi control data, etc. would be stored as well - each track on it's own midi channel.  It would also be good to have the option to save a phrase as a midi file.  That would allow detailed editing of the phrase itself in an external program.  This midi file could be modified, then loaded back into the Px-5s through the data editor.

It seems to me that the playback of song data is converted to midi.  I'm guessing it would be a matter of outputting that information to disk rather than to the sound generator and/or midi channels. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also interested in developing a tool to visualize some data parameters and to change or manage things.
I have found out how to edit files for the PX5S and keep them "valid". Otherwise you would get a message "invalid file".

Does anyone know anything about the data format (structure description) of the files?

Is there anywhere a description of the CASIO phrase fileformat?

There is a SMF Converter, of course, but I would like to understand the data format.

Maybe I would take part in a project to develop a tool to convert a midi file to a PX5S Song with several tracks and phrases.

At the moment we have to convert each channel to a phrase and split them into many tracks, if they are longer than MayFilesize for phrases

Then they have to be convertet to shift the used MIDI channel to free channel 1-4, to be able to play with the 4 zones.

Then the converted phrases have to be put in a Song, where we have 8 tracks.

Then the phrases and the Song must be transferred to the referred phrase-number to the PX5S. I think this could be done by using the package format.

So where is documentation about the ZPH ZPF ZSQ ZLT ZDR files?

Ralf

Hi pianoralf,

I haven't found any documentation.  I went through the files byte by byte to analyze their content and take my "best guess".  The sequencer file format contains the data for each of the tracks including the midi channel assigned to that particular track.  It also includes the reference to the phrase number, the repeat, and the keyshift - outlined just like the onboard sequencer.   There is no actual phrase information, just the reference to the phrase number.  The phrase file contains abridged midi information.  It contains no channel, no key on or key off messages - but the note, the velocity, and some version of the time code I haven't yet deciphered.  I haven't delved into a phrase that has many controller messages so I don't know what that looks like.   The all file, contains both of these formats within itself, however, the individual formats have a header with some information, but in the all file, there is no individual header for the sequencer or phrases.  But, using the all file allows the selection of any and all of the phrase data.

There's still information in the file formats I can't figure out, so I can't actually rebuild a working file from scratch of any type.  However, I have all the necessary data to build a visual representation of a song dumped from the Px-5s. 

Maybe Mike, or someone from Casio can give us a document that describes all of the file formats in detail.

• Like 1