Video Files on Forum ×

JBL LSR305 speaker volume

Extoboy48

I lucked out when shopping for external speakers for my PX-560 and found a set of JBL LSR305 speakers on sale. These are hard to find as they have been superseded by a newer (and not necessarily better) model. I have them connected with a balanced XLR cable to phono cable from the speaker to the 560 line out. Problem is, despite being "powered" speakers, they don't seem any louder than those built in to the keyboard. I find myself bending over the keyboard to see if they are actually making a sound. I thought that these speakers might blow me off my piano stool with the volume set just below max, but not even close. Speaker trim is zeroed out and input sensitivity switch is at -10db.

Am I doing something wrong?

Update: April 24/2018 - Pretty disappointed with JBL. Sent them and Casio the same question as above and have received a reply only from Casio. Have scoured the Internet myself and may have found a solution. Silly me bought an XLR to 1/4" cable believing that it was the more professional way to go. Maybe so, but I cobbled together a 1/4" to 1/4" plug I had from spare parts lying around and went from 1/4" to 1/4" instead of XLR to 1/4". Guess what - an obvious increase in volume, just by using a different connector. Why on earth does that not appear in the JBL literature!?

So, I'm off to find a pair of good 1/4" cables.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

1_  Local speaker volume:

Navigate to MENU > EQUALIZER  - what is your input value?

Click Grand Piano button and reply back with changed input value. Mine is 74 (of 127 max).

Raise input value to increase local speaker sound volume.

Not sure if that increases distortion or the value 74 leaves room for other sound inputs. 

Can change Input value  and save in a Registration.

Double check MENU > BALANCE volumes are 127 (unless you want to reduce sounds of Upper2 or Lower2 instruments). 

I am still on older firmware version 1.12 vs. newest version 1.15.

2_   Do you like JBL LSR305 speaker sound?   I have a small room at home and generally play piano music to my headphones - sounds great,  PX-560 has great keyboard feel. I grew up with an old acoustic piano with a light keyboard touch and yearn for speakers that create more acoustic presence (insert fancy word here :) ). Am slowly looking for speakers.

3_  If you use piano sound, try the Steinway D sound from SimoneCarini in the download section with longer decay.

www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/1002-px-560m-steinwayd/      

And there are other Steinway downloads.