Video Files on Forum ×

WK7600 Leslie Style Organ Fast / Slow Controls

Jestn7

Yes!  The Casio CTK/WK-7XXX keyboard models DO offer an onboard Rotary speaker (Leslie emulation) feature.  Many of the keyboard's Pre-set Drawbar Organ tones contain the Rotary feature by default, but the Rotary feature is actually just one of the effects in the keyboard's DSP Effects library, so it can be inserted into any of the tones.  With the keyboard's DSP Effects editor, you can vary the rotary FAST and SLOW speeds, as well as the Rotary Accelleration (How fast it speeds up and slows down when switched between speeds).  Real-time control of Rotary speed is exclusively under control of the ROTARY SLOW/FAST button at the left end of the keyboard - it is NOT assignable to the SUSTAIN/ASSIGN pedal.  However, for all its sophistication, the Rotary feature does have a major failing for which I was never able to find a realistic workaround.  While the ROTARY SLOW/FAST button defaults to exactly that, with the DSP Effects editor, you can reassign it to act as a ROTARY ON/OFF button, but apparently it never occurred to the Casio design engineers that you might need both an ON/OFF and a SLOW/FAST control.  If you are using that button as its default SLOW/FAST function, but also want a means of turning Rotary completely off, you need to bring the DSP editor up to its DSP ON/OFF display page before starting your performance, so that you can use the overall DSP ON/OFF function to turn Rotary on and off.  First of all, I have never been comfortable having any kind of editor display page up and on screen and active during a performance.  That always seemed like an open invitation to absolute disaster, but if you do use that for this workaround, then there is no realistic slow down or speed up as you turn DSP off and on.  You just go from full speed to off or from off to full speed.  I always found that a bit disconcerting.  I was able to get away from having an editor function active during a performance by setting up a DSP-ON Registration and a DSP-OFF Registration and turning Rotary on and off by switching Registrations, but that still left me with the immediate on/off with no realistic speed-up/slow-down and added the problem that if I did not time my Registration switch exactly right, I would get a major glitch in the audio during the switch.