Video Files on Forum ×

Change midi channel on LK240 and menu scrolling

mertyuy

Hey, I bought recently a second-hand LK 240. I also have an XWG1 and P1, and do some gigs with the P1 and a sound module. I want my P1 back (it stays where the band rehearses), and maybe the LK240 is a good option.

I thought it's pretty good, and lightweight, a simple keyboard for gigging with an external sound module (although I would have needed to get a midi host adapter, as it only has USB Midi), or casual playing in parties with the internal sounds, as some are quite good.

However, I came out with a problem: the Function menu, which has a lot of pages, goes out and the keyboard returns to Tone, song or rhythm mode in a few seconds. I really depend on the midi channel change option, as in some songs that I play have to change sounds quickly.

Is there a way to:

a) Freeze the screen into that screen, so I can change it quickly, without having to scroll through menus; or

b) Change midi channels with an external, cheap device?

c) Maybe there is another low/medium-end Casio keyboard with those same features but that won't have this limitation, (and maybe MIDI DIN and a pitch bend 🤣 )(even if it's a little bit old)?

Thanks in advance.

mert

Taking your questions one-by-one:

a. As far as I know, any Casio keyboard that uses a "Function" menu operates pretty much the same as the LK-240.  Since "Function" mode is not one of the "play" modes, the keyboard automatically returns to one of the "play" modes as soon as the selected "function" operation is completed, or after a few seconds delay, if a valid "function" is not selected after the "Function" menu is activated.  There is no way of freezing or locking any of them into "Function" mode.

b. The Basic MIDI Channel (1-16) can only be changed with the keyboard's Function menu,  It can not be changed remotely.

c. Since you have already considered the LK-240 as a stand-alone option (sans sound module) you might want to consider one of the more recent used CTK models.  Any of them that originally sold in the mid price ranges would have a sound engine that is, at least, a step up from that of the entry level LK series, but would still have the Auto-Accompaniment feature, if you wanted to use it as a "one-man-bander". Many of them will even operate for several hours on 4 or 6 "D" batteries, if necessary.   Anything new enough to consider a "safe" investment would only have USB-MIDI instead of 5-pin-DIN, but if you are planning on using it stand-alone, that is not all that much of an issue.  Most certainly you would want one of the models with 4-by-8 Registrations, as that would solve your original problem of quick sound changes.  These models provide you with single button press access to 4 different sounds for any one of 8 different banks.  If you would be fortunate enough to find a reasonably priced CTK-7000, it would provide you with single button press access to 6 different sounds for any one of 16 different banks.

Good luck!

- T -