Video Files on Forum ×

mod wheel to rotary?

pax-eterna

I haven't gotten to my PX-5S to play with it yet, but some things you can double-check:

1. Are you wanting to apply the modulation to the overdrive rotary or the regular rotary?  (Speed is P1 on the regular rotary.) 
    1. Double-double-check: You have set it to DSP Param 3 near the end of the list of targets, and not just MIDI controller 3?
  2. Have you made sure no other modulators are assigned to DSP Param 3?  In most factory patches there is a pedal or something assigned, and that other modulator may be overriding whatever you do with the mod wheel.
  3. In Stage Setting -> Common, have you double-checked the minimum / maximum numbers for the wheel?  If I remember right, it goes from off to on when it crosses values 63-64.  At least I think that's how it works on switched parameters.
  4. In Stage Setting -> Zone, is wheel  set as enabled?

I'll try to check on this tomorrow later today. 

Okay.  Deep breath.  I've tweaked most of the voices I use, so I don't know if the one I have is a factory voice or not, but I can definitely hear the Leslie speed change.  So I'm going to give you a couple more checklist items.

In situations like these, I encourage my (physical world) friends to "assume I'm an idiot," to eliminate blind spots, so don't take anything personally -- I'm trying to see if you missed anything. 

• Are you running in stereo or mono?  My PX-5S is hard panned left and right in my home sound system, and that may enhance the Leslie effect.
  • Are you sure of the state of DSP Parameter 2 (if you're using the regular rotary) or 4 (if you're using the distorted rotary)?  That's the Brake switch, which means no Leslie rotation at all -- just flat dry sound.  For initial proof that the effect is there at all, you want brake off, speed fast.
  • Other DSP parameters to set:
    • Slow Rate 40
    • Fast rate 55
    • Vibrato / Chorus Off (to reduce confusion)
    • Wet Level above 100
    • Dry level below 25

If this doesn't do it, I have one more trick available: I can (another day) post the setup I use for distorted organ, with mod wheel as the only speed control, so you can download it and plug it in.

I'm glad you're trying to get the most out of this wonderful musical instrument -- hang in there.

Thanks Tom...appreciate the help here. Yep running stereo. According to the MIDI spec sheet. the Speed is parameter 1 for the standard rotary and 3 for the distorted..which is how I set them. Did not think to look at the brake! I'll check that - that could very well be it!

I'll let you know!