Video Files on Forum ×

What to use for low cost GarageBand recording

I don’t have patience for even ProTools or Logic, and I don’t need a full size 88 or 76 key workstation.

So gurus, what’s a great CTX??

If money was no object I would get the $1100 dollar X-500 Casio 61 key arranger which seems like a workstation or even portable take anywhere machine in its own right.

I like the CTX stuff in the smaller micro/mini/reduced 61 key size which seems far easier to play than 76 keys which seems huge.

Thanks!

The MZ-X500 is pretty big, and it does have its own learning curve to it (although the touch screen helps). I would consider it more of a studio workstation than a portable keyboard for quick and dirty songwriting. 

Do you plan to do most of your songwriting on the keyboard itself, or are you just looking for something with good sounds on it so you can lay down tracks for GarageBand recordings?

If you want to do a lot of onboard sequencing and edit some custom tones, you’d probably want to stick with the CT-X3000 (can run on batteries) or the CT-X5000 (more dedicated buttons on the panel, stronger speakers, dynamic mic port, but can’t run on batteries). Both models have a very powerful 16+1 track sequencer for songwriting, but the interface does take a bit of time to get used to so if you’re impatient when it comes to learning new workflows for recording, it might not be the best fit for you. Definitely worth putting in the time to learn it, though, as the sounds are great and the sequencer is quite versatile with options like quantization, punch-in recording, copy and pasting recorded tracks, etc.

The CT-X800 (Guitar Center exclusive in the states, comes in a bundle with sustain pedal and X-stand) or the CT-X700 (does not come in a bundle, lacks a USB flash drive port and pitch bend wheel) might be better suited to your needs if you just want a keyboard with some great preset sounds to use in GarageBand recordings. Both models are portable, have USB-MIDI, and feature a very straightforward and simple 6 track song recorder that can be used to quickly put together a multi track recorder. The sequencer is less powerful than the X3000/X5000’s so it’s primarily useful for cranking out demos rather than making serious recordings. The X700 and X800 don’t offer much in the way of mixing or tone editing, though, but I would recommend paying a bit extra for the X800 since it has the ability to export multitrack recordings as MIDI files due to having a flash drive port. This would allow you to put together a demo on the X800 with the onboard sequencer and export it as a MIDI file which you can then clean up in GarageBand if you want to tweak it some more (although GarageBand does convert MIDI data to its own proprietary Apple Loops format when you import it, though, so keep that in mind).

One thing that you’ll need regardless of which option you go with is an audio interface that can record line level stereo sources. If you already have one of these, then that’s great. If you don’t, then you might consider getting something even cheaper like a CT-S300 to use as MIDI controller. If you’re happy with all the software instruments in GarageBand, then you can just use a USB-MIDI capable keyboard to play the software instruments in GarageBand and record tracks with those without needing to buy a separate interface. The CT-S300’s sounds aren’t as high quality as the CT-X series and it doesn’t have an onboard recorder, but it’s totally serviceable as a songwriting tool for practice when you’re using it standalone and it doubles as a great MIDI controller with that sleek new keybed and pitch bend wheel. It’s also very portable and affordable, not to mention affordable and cute as all heck.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much.

My wife has the WK-245 which I will use to learn. It seems extremely powerful compared to what I saw in the 1990s so it’s all relative.

The CTX 3000 seems the highest I need to go but the WK-245 may have me want nothing less than 76 keys and not the 61 in the CTX keyboards.

But what I don’t want is 88 keys and a complex DAW which always ends up meaning nothing gets done and the product is complete “pretty” noise devoid of artistry.

I may use the limitations of the 245s five tracks or GarageBand to my advantage. My best songs are simpler. If I go too complex they tend be be my worst or more sterile stuff.

On 11/29/2019 at 7:04 PM, Chandler Holloway said:

The MZ-X500 is pretty big, and it does have its own learning curve to it (although the touch screen helps). I would consider it more of a studio workstation than a portable keyboard for quick and dirty songwriting. 

Do you plan to do most of your songwriting on the keyboard itself, or are you just looking for something with good sounds on it so you can lay down tracks for GarageBand recordings?

If you want to do a lot of onboard sequencing and edit some custom tones, you’d probably want to stick with the CT-X3000 (can run on batteries) or the CT-X5000 (more dedicated buttons on the panel, stronger speakers, dynamic mic port, but can’t run on batteries). Both models have a very powerful 16+1 track sequencer for songwriting, but the interface does take a bit of time to get used to so if you’re impatient when it comes to learning new workflows for recording, it might not be the best fit for you. Definitely worth putting in the time to learn it, though, as the sounds are great and the sequencer is quite versatile with options like quantization, punch-in recording, copy and pasting recorded tracks, etc.

The CT-X800 (Guitar Center exclusive in the states, comes in a bundle with sustain pedal and X-stand) or the CT-X700 (does not come in a bundle, lacks a USB flash drive port and pitch bend wheel) might be better suited to your needs if you just want a keyboard with some great preset sounds to use in GarageBand recordings. Both models are portable, have USB-MIDI, and feature a very straightforward and simple 6 track song recorder that can be used to quickly put together a multi track recorder. The sequencer is less powerful than the X3000/X5000’s so it’s primarily useful for cranking out demos rather than making serious recordings. The X700 and X800 don’t offer much in the way of mixing or tone editing, though, but I would recommend paying a bit extra for the X800 since it has the ability to export multitrack recordings as MIDI files due to having a flash drive port. This would allow you to put together a demo on the X800 with the onboard sequencer and export it as a MIDI file which you can then clean up in GarageBand if you want to tweak it some more (although GarageBand does convert MIDI data to its own proprietary Apple Loops format when you import it, though, so keep that in mind).

One thing that you’ll need regardless of which option you go with is an audio interface that can record line level stereo sources. If you already have one of these, then that’s great. If you don’t, then you might consider getting something even cheaper like a CT-S300 to use as MIDI controller. If you’re happy with all the software instruments in GarageBand, then you can just use a USB-MIDI capable keyboard to play the software instruments in GarageBand and record tracks with those without needing to buy a separate interface. The CT-S300’s sounds aren’t as high quality as the CT-X series and it doesn’t have an onboard recorder, but it’s totally serviceable as a songwriting tool for practice when you’re using it standalone and it doubles as a great MIDI controller with that sleek new keybed and pitch bend wheel. It’s also very portable and affordable, not to mention affordable and cute as all heck.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks Chandler. Saw your videos!!

Casio X800 bundle seems great and I got Cubase and a teacher in my friend who does jingles. The learning curve is steeper than GB but I used to be network engineer so it can’t be that hard, I hope.

l love the Yamaha PSR feel better but Casio offers best functions in the under $500 range.

And yes the X3000 is also an option.

Maj ! ! !

Before you settle on the CTX-700/800, you need to be aware of the concerns, expressed in other threads on this forum, that those models provide no means for adjusting the volumes (levels) of the second (layered) right hand, or the split left hand tones separate from that of the main right hand tone.  This would most assuredly detract from any serious music production efforts.  With that in mind, I would have to agree with Chandler.  For the desires and aspirations you have expressed, I would suggest nothing less than the CT-X3000, with a strong leaning toward the CT-X5000, but if you really prefer 76 keys, as do I, and cost is an issue, you may want to consider a WK-7600, while they are still being offered.  Their prices have come down considerably since the advent of the CT-X models.  The WK-7600 is Casio's full featured, top of the line, 76 key, studio based, Arranger Workstation.  Besides its 17 track linear sequencer (song recorder) with "EASY RECord", it also has a looping Pattern Sequencer for creating your own accompaniment rhythms, as well as full audio recording and SD Memory Card storage capabilities.  Yes! It does not have the latest sound engine of the CT-X models, but the sound engine it does have is a huge step up from the one you have been using in that WK-245.  That sound engine in those "learning" series boards is a perfectly good engine, but it has been around for a long, long time.

Now, I finally have to take issue with your disdain for high level sequencers and DAW's:  that they robotize otherwise pristine performances.  Those "robotics" do not happen by default.  If they happen, they happen at the direction/behest of you, the creator.  You just have to learn not to get carried away with the features that dehumanize a performance.

There, that is my 2 cents worth.  I wish you all the best with your efforts.  In the meantime, if you stay with the WK-245 for a while, there is nothing wrong with that.  It is a fine board for where you're currently at.  I got enormous use and enjoyment out of my WK-225 for several years.

- T -

• Thanks 1

Thanks T!!

If my wife lets me use the WK-245 then I am all good. I am sure Cubase that I have now can tweak sounds well enough.

I know Jeremy See does not like the limitations of layered sounds in the 700/800. I am certainly not against the CTX 3000 which I was amazed at in the store. It could be too complex for me at this time but if I get into Cubase then anything the 3000 throws at me is nothing big.

Every single day since it’s all new I learn a ton, especially from you all on the several groups I belong to. I learned yesterday to make the drummer better able to gradually speed up mid sing like a live drummer and that was really lifelike.

i am getting better at getting guitar sounds on the Casios as I learn where it sounds right and where it doesn’t and play accordingly.