Video Files on Forum ×

Midi-ox cz1000 saving issue

AndyC17

I am brand new to synths and midi. I have a CZ1000 that I have had since the early 80’s and am just now starting to play with it. Years ago I bought a CZ starter kit with 2500 sound patches. I am using a PC loaded with Midi-ox and have been able to save the sounds I wanted into the INTERNAL storage by using the WRITE key. Only issue is, once I have loaded sounds from different banks and exit out of Midi-ox the CZ1000 saves all the sounds from the last Sussex. And I was in and I lose all the sounds I thought I had saved. Can someone give me a very simple step by step process of how I save multiple sounds from Sysex file banks and not have all the sounds from the last bank I was in be the only ones saved?? Remember, I am a beginner so dont yet understand a lot of the terms! Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

This question being a month and a half old, but I'll answer it anyway.

It sounds like you are downloading patch banks into the CZ via sysex. If you do that, they will overwrite any patches you have saved on the machine itself. For instance if you saved a flute patch into user patch 04, then download a pad sound into user patch 04, that will overwrite the flute patch. A patch bank will overwrite all the patches on the machine. On a CZ, the patch number is hardcoded into the sysex itself, so each patch will overwrite the original patch number it came from, if that makes any sense, and sending the bank will overwrite all the saved user patches.

At which point may I humbly suggest the CZ patch editor what I have written myself recently, VZV-CZ which I link to on this explanatory post here-

It runs on Windows 10 and is completely free without any ads or "upsells".

Using VZV-CZ you can load a patch bank into it and then send the patch to the CZ's "live" edit buffer, rather than to a user patch number. This means it just becomes the live sound on the synth and all those saved on the synth remain in place. You can then "write" it into a patch slot on the CZ if you so desire, and thus compile your own banks (or you can compile your own in VZV-CZ).

Edited by IanB
Added some info.
  • Like 2