Video Files on Forum ×

wk 7600 casio keyboard recording

Hello, I am sorry if this has already been asked.

Is it possible to record the wk 7600 keyboard by plugging it into a sound card? (I have a Scarlett Focusrite solo 3rd gen)? 

(And if yes, would it then keep the selected sounds from the keyboard library?)

Thank you for reading.

Yes and no!  Your Focusrite Solo is a very good choice for making high quality recordings of your WK-7600's audio output. You need only connect the WK-7600's "L (Mono) / R" Line Out jacks to the Solo's Line In jacks using a pair of mono cables with 2 conductor Tip-Sleeve (TS) plugs.  Do not attempt to use cables with 3 conductor Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) plugs, as they will not work.  Then, set up the Solo per its instructions, and you are all set, BUT . . . . the Solo is just an audio recording interface, like any other audio recording interface.  They assit your computer's recording (DAW) software in "remembering" whatever it "hears" for posterity, but as for "remembering" your WK-7600"s set up, and which tones you had selected, then No! The Solo does not have that capability.  For that, you would need one of the other Focusrite products that has MIDI capabilities, and that would require a MIDI recording, not an audio recording.  However, there is really no need for that, as the WK-7600 has 96 Registrations for storing its own setups.  See Page E-66 of the WK-7600 manual.  If you need additional assistance for setting up the Solo, please see this set up guide from Sweetwater Sound:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/focusrite-scarlett-install-and-setup-guide/

Now, all of this said, I am wondering if you are aware that the WK-7600 has its own internal high quality audo recorder for recording its own output as well as that of a connected microphone and a connected mono instrument (guitar, etc).  See Page E-121.  Results are recorded to an SD Memory Card.  As a matter of fact.  You can record your keyboard performance only with the keyboard's internal Song (MIDI) Sequencer, easily make any changes or corrections, then play that performance back as you sing and play (guitar) along with it, and the combined results will all be recorded to an audio file on the SD Memory Card - no computer or interface required at all.  In essence, the WK-7600 is its own stand-alone recording studio.  See Page E-68.

Best of luck with your endeavors!

- T -

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 4:02 PM, - T - said:

Yes and no!  Your Focusrite Solo is a very good choice for making high quality recordings of your WK-7600's audio output. You need only connect the WK-7600's "L (Mono) / R" Line Out jacks to the Solo's Line In jacks using a pair of mono cables with 2 conductor Tip-Sleeve (TS) plugs.  Do not attempt to use cables with 3 conductor Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) plugs, as they will not work.  Then, set up the Solo per its instructions, and you are all set, BUT . . . . the Solo is just an audio recording interface, like any other audio recording interface.  They assit your computer's recording (DAW) software in "remembering" whatever it "hears" for posterity, but as for "remembering" your WK-7600"s set up, and which tones you had selected, then No! The Solo does not have that capability.  For that, you would need one of the other Focusrite products that has MIDI capabilities, and that would require a MIDI recording, not an audio recording.  However, there is really no need for that, as the WK-7600 has 96 Registrations for storing its own setups.  See Page E-66 of the WK-7600 manual.  If you need additional assistance for setting up the Solo, please see this set up guide from Sweetwater Sound:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/focusrite-scarlett-install-and-setup-guide/

Now, all of this said, I am wondering if you are aware that the WK-7600 has its own internal high quality audo recorder for recording its own output as well as that of a connected microphone and a connected mono instrument (guitar, etc).  See Page E-121.  Results are recorded to an SD Memory Card.  As a matter of fact.  You can record your keyboard performance only with the keyboard's internal Song (MIDI) Sequencer, easily make any changes or corrections, then play that performance back as you sing and play (guitar) along with it, and the combined results will all be recorded to an audio file on the SD Memory Card - no computer or interface required at all.  In essence, the WK-7600 is its own stand-alone recording studio.  See Page E-68.

Best of luck with your endeavors!

- T -

Thank you for your reply!

If I do plug the Casio to the Solo as you said, would I need a software such as Ableton with a Library of its own then? I am not sure I really understand the advantage with the setups storing for recording with the Solo, would it make it possible to get the sounds from the Casio at all?

And is Casio selling the mono cables with two conductors that you mentioned?

I know about the recording options but my (few) attempts to use it failed. (I actually managed to record and listen to the recordings while using the keyboard but somehow failed to put them on the SD card, I must try again.) that is why I was asking about recording directly through my usual sound card onto my computer. The amount of options and technical aspects is a bit overwhelming, especially for someone new to sound material like me. ( So far I used the paper manual I received with my Casio, but using the online manual in my native tongue (French) in the future probably won't hurt either!)

The two conductor cables are standard fare from any music supply retailer.

To keep this as simple as possible, if you just connect your keyboard's Line Out jacks to the Solo's Line In jacks, that will use your computer's hard drive to record your keyboard's output, just the same as though your computer were an old tape recorder or cassette recorder.  It does not require any type of software on your computer that emulates your keyboard's sound library.  That is for recording MIDI files (not audio files), and is an entirely different technology than we are discussing here.  Once you have the keyboard connected to the Solo, Yes! You will need audio recording DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software to control the recording process, and Yes! Ableton is one of the options, but it is one of the high end products with a fairly steep learning curve.  You have enough on your hands at the moment with just the keyboard, so let's not complicate things more than we have to for the moment.  I recommend a very popular product known as Audacity.  It is a full featured DAW recording package with a fairly easy learning curve, and is available as a free download from www.audacityteam.org.  Because of its popularity, help for it can be found on just about any forum that deals with music production or audio recording.

Once you have the above all set up, you will have two options when you record.  One is to record your performance as a final take directly to Audacity, but if you make an error, you will most likely have to do the entire take over again, and again, and again, until you finally get it right.  Correcting errors in audio files without leaving a noticeable glitch is extremely difficult, if not almost impossible.  I recommend you familiarize yourself with the keyboard's internal Song Sequencer (recorder) as much as possbile, as soon as possible.  Then record your initial takes to the internal Song recorder, use its editor to make any necessary corrections, save the Song, prepare Solo and Audacity for recording, prepare your saved performance for playback, start Audacity to recording, start playback of your saved performance, and voila! you have a picture perfect recording suitable for playing for your stern music instructor.  If this procedure leaves an excessively long silent lead-in trailer, you can easily use Audacity's editor to trim that to something more acceptable - and the same for the outro trailer.

Above, I made reference to MIDI files.  Your keyboard can handle both MIDI and audio.  When you record to the keyboard's internal Song Sequencer, that is a MIDI, not an audio, recording.  Sooner or later you are going to want and need to understand the difference, so I will provide some YouTube links to assist:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=difference+between+audio+file+and+midi+file

- T -

• Thanks 1