Video Files on Forum ×

How to save directly from the keyboard on a Casio CTK 3500

I just bought a Casio CTK 3500. I would like to play on the keyboard itself and save that data in the song bank. The Chordana play app only lets me download other files . All I want to do is save what I have played. Can anyone give me any hints. I have read the manual and don't see where it allows you to save what you have played  even though the song bank has room for 30 user files.  I DO NOT want to load other midi songs in. I simply want to record what I play directly from the keyboard and then have the opportunity to review or edit later.  Can anyone help ? 

As you have already discovered, the CTK-3500's Song Bank only saves songs that you have transferred there from the App with the Store Mode.  The CTK-3500 has no internal circuitry for recording (saving) your own performances, but you do have two options for doing this with a computer.  By connecting the CTK-3500"s PHONES/OUTPUT jack to your computer's MIC/LINE-IN jack, with the proper cables, connectors, and adapters, you can make audio recordings of your performances with DAW software such as Audacity.  Connecting to the CTK-3500's PHONES/OUTPUT jack cuts off its built-in speakers, so you would need to use your computer's sound system to monitor your performance as you record.

The other option is to connect the CTK-3500's USB connector to an available USB port on your computer, with what has come to be known as a "standard USB printer cable", to make MIDI recordings of your performances with MIDI Sequencer software, such as Anvil Studio.   You would then play those recordings back, from the computer, to the CTK-3500, using it as a MIDI sound module.   The advantage of MIDI recordings is the ability to make note by note corrections to any errors for a "perfect" performance.  Once the corrections are made, you can play the MIDI recording back to the CTK-3500 as you make an audio recording of its output for posterity.  Both Audacity and Anvil Studio are available as free downloads, and both have a fairly easy learning curve.

The USB-MIDI connection would also allow you to expand the CTK-3500's sound repertoire by enabling you to play computer based VSTi sound software from the keyboard.

Basically, the above would turn your CTK-3500, your computer, and your Smart device into a complete recording studio.

Good luck!

- T -