Video Files on Forum ×

CASIO Keyboard channel 1- 16 to listen in MIDI software

I have a casio CTK2200 and have not used for very long time. I need clarification for following : If i select Keyboard channel 4 in keyboard, and play notes how to hear the same in  standard MIDI software in PC (Both PC and Casio are connected via USB). Similarly is it possible to select 6 or more channels in casio and hear all the 6 channels in mIDI software in PC. Can i assume that if i play notes first for ch4, then for ch 6, then for ch 7 & 8 it is getting stored in casio. Or for recording multiple channels(eg 4-8) midi SW is required. Kindly clarify.

The CTK-2200 has no internal circuitry, of its own, for the recording and/or storing of "songs", either MIDI or audio.  Any recording and/or storage would have to be done on an attached computer with the appropriate connections and software.

MIDI recordings can be made by attaching the CTK-2200's USB port to an available USB computer port, and using DAW/Sequencer software such as Anvil Studio.  See Page E-34 of the manual.  To select the MIDI Channel to be sent to the computer for "single channel at a time" recordings, see the right hand column of Page E-35 for setting the "Keyboard Channel" (Keybd Ch).  For the "simultaneous recording" of all of the Auto Accompaniment channels, see Accomp Out in the right hand column of Page E-36, to turn that feature on.

The MIDI connection can also be used as a MIDI Controller connection, allowing the CTK-2200 to play "virtual" computer based software instruments (VSTi sounds).  To mute the CTK-2200's own internal sounds, when doing this, see Local Control, at the top of the right hand column, on Page E-36 to turn Local off.  Don't forget to turn Local back on, when not using VSTi's, or you will have no sound from the CTK-2200.

Audio recordings can be made by connecting the CTK-2200's PHONES/OUTPUT jack to the computer's MIC/LINE-IN jack, or to a USB Audio Interface unit, with the appropriate audio adapters and cables.  See Page E-37.  Since a connection to the PHONES/OUTPUT jack cuts off sound from the CTK-2200's built-in speakers, you would need to use the computer's sound system to monitor the recording process.  This type of recording requires audio DAW software such as "Audacity".

Both Anvil Studio and Audacity are available as free downloads. 

After going through above response, a query came to my mind.If i select, for eg 3 keyboard channels say 2, 4, 8 and record in MIDI software (Pls clarify whether these 3 channels will be recorded in same track or 3 different tracks). If suppose i want to hear the recorded 4th channel in midi software in keyboard channel 2 , is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, krishnar said:

(Pls clarify whether these 3 channels will be recorded in same track or 3 different tracks).

That all depends upon how you set up your DAW/Sequencer software.  In all "full featured" DAW/Sequencer software, the track/channel relationships are fully assignable.  That is, you can assign any track to transmit/receive MIDI data to/from any of the 16 channels.  You can assign multiple tracks to the same channel, or single tracks to multiple channels.  If multiple channels are assigned to the same track and recorded simultaneously, then data from the assigned channels will be merged onto the common track, but if that data is recorded one channel at a time, then subsequent recordings will erase previous recordings, unless the selected track is set to "overdub" on the subsequent recordings.  As this could very quickly get well beyond the scope of this forum, I would recommend doing Google, Bing, YouTube searches for DAW/Sequencer MIDI recording basics in order to become more familiar with these practices and procedures.

Due to its basic design, the CTK-2200 will only transmit MIDI data on one channel at a time, that being the Keyboard Channel assigned in the MIDI settings, unless the Accomp Out feature is also turned on in the MIDI settings, but CTK/WK models do not transmit each individual note of all the Accompaniment parts.  Rather, they transmit only the three or four chord notes from the Accompaniment section of the keyboard.  Then, when that song file is played back into the CTK/WK those chord notes will be used by the Auto Accompaniment engine to reconstruct the full accompaniment.  This is the limit of the CTK-2200's ability for simultaneous MIDI transmission.  It simply does not have the MIDI capabilities of a middle-of-the-line or high-end Workstation.