Video Files on Forum ×

Having in Midi to click each track in a song to get the Midi recorded sounds to play correctly. HELP PLEASE!!

Everytime I Load a MIDI Recorded Song using, WK-6600 and studio one 4 PRIME-
I have to go through each Recorded Track find that instrument on the WK-6600 screen-play a couple of random notes
on each Midi Track sound to make it playback correctly? 
EXAMPLE:
Track 1 recorded muted Trumpet. After reloading song now the piano is playing in that track instead of the Muted Trumpet!

HELP!
Thank You!!

Either:

You do not have your DAW recorder (MIDI Sequencer) running when you select the sounds on the keyboard, so it never gets a chance to record the Bank Select (MSB/LSB) and Program Change (PC) messages, coming from the  WK-6600, that are used for selecting tones (sounds/instruments).   In that case, you would need to enter (edit) them into each of the tracks of your recorded MIDI file, manually, after the fact, then resave the file, so that all your tone data is there the next time you play it.  This is pretty much the typical workflow.  Some keyboards have an "Init Send" function to make this easier.  You set up all the desired tones, on the keyboard, start the DAW to recording, press the "Init Send", which will send all of the Bank Select and PC codes to the DAW, and begin playing, but the WK-6600 does not have this feature.

There is a work-around, of sorts.  When you record a song to the WK-6600's internal Song Sequencer, it does its own internal equivalent of an Init Send.  That is, it records all of the necessary Bank Select and PC codes for each of the tracks into the file header.  When that file is played back, those codes are sent out over the USB cable, along with the rest of the song data to any connected devices.  You have the option of doing your initial takes on the internal Song Sequencer, then playing it back as you record it with the DAW.  I am a bit of a fish out of water discussing this, as when I had the CTK-6000, CTK-7000, and WK-7500, I never used anything other than the internal Song Sequencers for all of my MIDI recording needs.  The only thing I ever used a computer based DAW sequencer for was playing downloaded MIDI files to the Casio keyboards, so I have no real experience with the above.

Or:

Studio One is filtering off the Bank Select (MSB/LSB) and Program Change (PC) messages, coming from the  WK-6600.  Some (most ? / many ? ) DAWs do that by default, and need to be told not to do that.  This would be an issue with Studio One, and not with the WK-6600.  Please check your Studio One user's guide for info about "MIDI Receive" or "MIDI-IN" filters, and set them accordingly.