Video Files on Forum ×

Daniel Cundy

cundydan@gmail.com

Hi there,

A question re the Key Lighting function on the LK280. Does anyone know how to enable the lighting key function when connected to a tablet? I've managed to connect the tablet, but when I press play on a midi file form the tablet, the keys on the keyboard do not light-up. I've tried enabling the 'Keyboard Link' function but it won't let me. Please help!

Many thanks,

Dan

The keys on the Casio LK models are lit by incoming "Note-On/Note-Off" MIDI messages embedded in the MIDI file that is being played to them.  So that part makes no difference what the source is, PC or tablet.  What does make a difference is the physical connection (adapter, actually) required.  Older iPads require the Apple Camera Connection kit, while newer iPads require the Lightning Camera Connection.  Android devices require an OTG adapter.

Once a proper physical connection is established, you need to ensure that the MIDI note data is on the proper incoming MIDI channels.  Casio calls the MIDI channels that control keylighting the Navigate Channels. See the right hand column of Page E-60 of the LK-280 manual.  On the newer LK series boards, the Navigate Channels are fully assignable, but they default to Channels 3 an 4, and believe me, it is best to leave them there.  Actually, only the right Navigate Channel is assignable, while the next adjacent lower channel is automatically assigned as the left Navigate Channel.  So for a default system, right hand MIDI note data must be on Channel 4, and left hand MIDI note data must be on Channel 3, in order to properly light the keys.  Precious few MIDI files, downloaded from the internet, will meet these requiments, and will need to be edited with DAW/Sequencer software to place the MIDI note data on the proper channels.  The worst case scenarios (most MIDI files) are MIDI files that have both left hand and right hand note data on the same channel.  It needs to be separated. This is normally done by cloning the MIDI note data to both Channels 3 an 4, then use the editing software to bulk delete all notes middle C and above from Channel 3, and all notes below middle C from Channel 4.  Any occasional notes that should normally span the middle C divisor can be edited back in or out, on a note-by-note basis, with the editing software.  Obviously, this procedure would only be plausible for simple, basic, learning songs.  It would certainly not be remotely possible with a piano concerto.