Video Files on Forum ×

Privia 850 as input to laptop/Garageband?

sss

I have a PX-850. During covid I am taking piano lessons over Facetime. The sound quality isn't great. What I'd like to do is connect my px-850 to my MacOS laptop (via USB?) and be able to pipe both the keyboard and my own voice to Facetime so he can get the best possible sound quality. Is this possible? Will I need to purchase a USB-A to USB-B cable to connect the Privia to my laptop? And if I do this, will I, and my teacher, be able to hear both my own voice (via my laptop's built-in mic) and the keyboard?

USB transfers only MIDI, not audio. So the only way to have piano sounds sent to your teacher that way would be to have the PX-850 use internal sounds from your computer via something like GarageBand as you say. However, I don't know if those internal GB sounds would be transmitted over FaceTime directly from GB. To get the actual audio from the PX-850 to your computer you either need to connect the audio out or headphones of the keyboard to your Mac. Depending on the model and year of your laptop, it might have an audio in port that could be connected directly. Otherwise you would need an audio interface for this.

The other issue is that your voice would be a second audio source and by default, most apps are only looking for one. What might be a solution for both issues is software from Rogue Amoeba. They have several apps that let you route and configure audio from various sources, and I may have seen something from them that can do what you describe. Look them up and let us know what you find.

• Like 1