Video Files on Forum ×

Cure for stiff, noisy single-pedal

Trooplewis

Thought I would post this for the benefit of anyone who gets annoyed at their single pedal.
Mine is an "OnStage" brand, that was part of the package when I bought my Px-S3000

It is very stiff when pressing on it and made a fairly good noise when it is let-off and the metal pedal connects with the plastic casing.

Disconnect the pedal's cable from your keyboard first!
There were 4 screws on the bottom holding the assembly in, easy to remove with a Philips screwdriver. Notice how the wires are routed to avoid chafing with the pedal movement. You want to put them back in the same position when you're done.

Once apart, pull the pedal thru the case, being careful not to put too much pressure to the soldered-on wires. You don't want to have to re-solder things.
There is a spring under the pedal that can be removed with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Keep an eye on not pulling hard on the soldered wires!
Once you remove the spring, use the pliers, or a wire-cutter, to cut the top two coils off, and re-install. If you want to really be safe, try removing one coil first and trying it out...

Reassembly is just the reverse of what you already did.

Then I put a small piece of stick-on velcro (the fuzzy side) on top of the pedal where it meets the plastic case.
Whole thing took less than 10 minutes and was a huge improvement. Some noise is still noticeable, but probably 75% better than it was prior.
Pressure to depress the pedal reduced substantially, but still a lot of "spring" to it.

Disclaimer; your pedal may be different, so use your smarts and be careful.