Video Files on Forum ×

Battery Powered speaker suggestion for PX5S?

Donja

Hi. Just picked up a PX5S to use in a Private Events band. I frequently play the wedding ceremony and cocktail hour outside, sometimes power is an issue, and I love the fact that the PX5S can run on batteries. Does anyone have a suggestion for a battery powered speaker? Thinking of either of the Behringer line (economical) or JBL (more expensive). Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks Scott. I decided to go with the JBL. Going to try it out at an outdoor ceremony in a few weeks, give me some time to tweak it. It seems to be more than loud enough for a ceremony and cocktail. I usually use a QSC K10, but I think this will do the job in the right environment, and make setup/tear down much simpler, I always have to rush from the ceremony to the cocktail location, then get onstage for the reception with a 7 piece band. I would not use the JBL with a band, but I think it will work great for my purpose.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think you'll like it! I use the Eon One Compact for street jams with my Korg Kross. My main complaint is the blurry LED indicator rings on the dials are pretty useless, and further confusing because they switch orientation when the speaker is on it's side vs. upright. But if you use it with the app it becomes a tiny PA with true wireless mixing including discrete parametric EQs which is awesome.

The sound is alright out of the box, but after tailoring the EQs with the app it can be made excellent and from there on the channels can be mixed using the dials on the speaker. The low-end is borderline unbelievable for a speaker this tiny running on batteries IMO.

Anyway don't forget to update us with a report after a few gigs!

Cheers,

Ivan

• 1 month later...

I have used the JBL now in some outdoor  ceremonies and cocktails; it gets a thumbs up from me! You have to be realistic, though, in terms of crowd coverage. For small gatherings it is fine. Using the app to EQ, it sounds better than my QSC K10. It doesn’t throw as far, though, which is reasonable based on its size and weight. For a larger wedding of 300 people I used it as my monitor and ran a line out from it to the PA that was provided by a sound company. The piano sounded awesome, I got many compliments.