Video Files on Forum ×

Something for all arpeggiators in casio keyboards.

I've lately turned into an arpeggiator / phrase aficionado "always wanted to say that" :) 

But there something that could uplift all Casio keyboards having them , I love all small incremental 

upgrade Casio did to all keyboards. The arpeggio are very deep and versatile the control tracks 

are a stroke of genius I loved it in the XW keyboards and even more in the PX5S. 

Arpeggio have evolved so much through the years they can do so much more now , Asking for that 

would be to much implementing. One such option I would like to have certain as an aspect of music

is an random option for arpeggiator or something similar in a simple work around way maybe random

velocity if that kind of engineering is easy with existing arpeggio's. 

Of all possibilities for what an arpeggiator adds, Random would be more viable it's use fits well in musical

genre like classic and edm/house. 

Notice ()

I forgot to mention that the PX5S has an random arpeggiator my apology for that ,Its not fully configurable

for step edit or any other control option, Its in there but as fixed arpeggio. 

Edited by XW-Addict
Correction random arpeggiator for PX5S
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Random modes (four of them, in fact, covering different octave ranges) are also available in the XW-P1, XW-G1 and PX-560. I would assume that they are also available in the MZ-X instruments. And it would surprise me if they were not in the CT-X instruments. 

So, looks like your wish was granted before you even made it. ;->

But, it seems you want a configurable random arpeggio mode, so maybe your wish has not been granted after all. What parameters would you like to be configurable? If you have an XW-P1 or XW-G1, it is possible to run the step sequencer alongside the arpeggiator (the latter can automatically start and stop the former), which allows a whole bunch of different parameter modifications by using the sequencer's four control tracks. 

Edited by AlenK
Typo
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2021 at 9:06 PM, AlenK said:

Random modes (four of them, in fact, covering different octave ranges) are also available in the XW-P1, XW-G1 and PX-560. I would assume that they are also available in the MZ-X instruments. And it would surprise me if they were not in the CT-X instruments. 

So, looks like your wish was granted before you even made it. ;->

But, it seems you want a configurable random arpeggio mode, so maybe your wish has not been granted after all. What parameters would you like to be configurable? If you have an XW-P1 or XW-G1, it is possible to run the step sequencer alongside the arpeggiator (the latter can automatically start and stop the former), which allows a whole bunch of different parameter modifications by using the sequencer's four control tracks. 

Access to control track and or random velocity also a way to make it travel 2 octave or from octave to octave from one starting position. If the steps can be edited that way it could have sweeping patterns, random velocity can sound wicked with Hexlayer cause of the the wave-sequencing. I love to play with note length sometimes with release or sustain with single tones using arpeggio its easy. 

Having it done with random release would be more surprising to each step while remaining to have random notes. Currently thanks to the PX5S four arps I'm trying to do separate timing something like a wait to each zone to make it seems like they all play in unison. Trying this out with one sound with different lengths using the LFO within a tone and hexlayer , believe me its sounds pretty narly :)). 

I need to fix the XW-G1 to discover that again though still haven't fixed it whatever made it not turn on again 🤔

Edited by XW-Addict

6 hours ago, XW-Addict said:

Access to control track and or random velocity also a way to make it travel 2 octave or from octave to octave from one starting position. If the steps can be edited that way it could have sweeping patterns, random velocity can sound wicked with Hexlayer cause of the the wave-sequencing. I love to play with note length sometimes with release or sustain with single tones using arpeggio its easy. 

Having it done with random release would be more surprising to each step while remaining to have random notes. Currently thanks to the PX5S four arps I'm trying to do separate timing something like a wait to each zone to make it seems like they all play in unison. Trying this out with one sound with different lengths using the LFO within a tone and hexlayer , believe me its sounds pretty narly :)). 

I need to fix the XW-G1 to discover that again though still haven't fixed it whatever made it not turn on again 🤔

Hope you get your G1 working again. 

Re jumping across two octaves, that is what the "Random 2Oct" pattern does. Patterns are also available for jumping across three and four octaves.

Re control tracks with the argeggiatr, on the XW synths you get up to four if you trigger the sequencer to run in parallel with the arpeggiator. For more about that, see section 5.2 in The XW Companion. 

Re random velocity with a hex layer tone, there is likely a way to do something that is perceptually indistinguishable by using the sequencer in the way described in section 5.2. But I will have to give it more thought to figure out exactly how. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It would be fun if the step-sequencer also capable of random stuff but there a limit to even hardware dedication to arpeggio it would be a total different machine as well instead of an instrument. But (here i go again) That can also be said of the Chain function setting up different patterns from the step and have the chain dice them all. Its the versatility of the XW functions that let me think of possible things like if. 

On 7/19/2021 at 9:38 PM, AlenK said:

Re control tracks with the argeggiatr, on the XW synths you get up to four if you trigger the sequencer to run in parallel with the arpeggiator. For more about that, see section 5.2 in The XW Companion. 

Re random velocity with a hex layer tone, there is likely a way to do something that is perceptually indistinguishable by using the sequencer in the way described in section 5.2. But I will have to give it more thought to figure out exactly how. 

I wanted to follow up on this. AFAIK there are only two random processes in the XW-P1 and XW-G1: the random pitch patterns in the arpeggiator and the random waveform selectable in the solo-synth LFOs. The latter isn't going to help implement random velocity values for arpeggiator notes, even if you arpeggiate a solo-synth tone. 

But as I said, there is something you can do using the sequencer control tracks that may sound the same, depending on how you program it. The idea is to point one or more of the control tracks at knobs, with each knob programmed in a Performance to control one or more parameters such as expression (CC#11), filter cutoff (CC#74) and attack time (CC#73). 

If you program the steps in each of the control tracks to vary over a range of random values and program the length of each track with a different, non-related value (e.g., 11 steps, 13 steps, 14 steps, 15 steps), as your arpeggio plays the chances are good that there will be no apparent repetition, i.e., it should sound completely random, even though it isn't. 

True, the velocity itself has not been (pseudo-) randomized. Since velocity is  transmitted with each MIDI note command, I know of no way to accomplish that. But the above does vary the parameters that typically change with velocity, hence can usually sound very similar. 

PS. I should add that the knob(s) addressed by the sequencer control track(s) implementing the pseudo-random CC value changes must be enabled in the same zone(s) the arpeggiator is enabled in, and ONLY enabled in that (those) zone(s). 

Edited by AlenK