Video Files on Forum ×

Internal GM programs / MIDI in

I'm having the CT-S1 play GM background bass and drums through the USB MIDI connection, from a sequencer / arranger running on an external tablet.  Everything works, but I'm not sure how to set Ch10 drum programs and bank selects from the tablet.  It looks like bank selects MSB=0 and LSB=0 select the GM bank for standard GM programs, but what are the Bank Selects for Ch10 drum programs?  And are the alternate GM drum sets (brush kit, jazz kit, etc.) then supported by sending  program numbers?  I can't find this information in the manual, which says there is more MIDI information at https://support.casio.com/en/emi/manual/ct-s1, but I don't see any such document there either.  Is there a detailed description anywhere of the "generic" GM engine that is accessible from external MIDI input on several Casio models?...???

df

Thanks, Jay...so I've tried various Bank Select MSB/USB combinations (no Bank Selects, 0/0, 120/0, 127/0, etc.) and still can't change the drum kit from the default...maybe the CT-S1 has only the one standard GM drum kit?...if I had a list of drum sound note assignments, I could make changes in the software application that generate the MIDI drums...is there any documentation available about CT-S1 GM MIDI programs / drum kits / drum note assignments from Casio?  Brad?  Mike?  ???

df

21 hours ago, dfahrner02 said:

.so I've tried various Bank Select MSB/USB combinations (no Bank Selects, 0/0, 120/0, 127/0, etc.) and still can't change the drum kit from the default...

As I try to recall it, I used no Bank select message (= 0) - I just omitted it to get the GM sound set (and one must use midi channel 10 for drums).

Below is a table I copied from the midi.org website (my highlight).

According to it, you get percussive sounds with Program Change messages in the range of 113-120. Try that, and see if it works :)

General MIDI Level 1 Instrument Families

The General MIDI Level 1 instrument sounds are grouped by families. In each family are 8 specific instruments.
PC# Family Name
1-8 Piano
9-16 Chromatic Percussion
17-24 Organ
25-32 Guitar
33-40 Bass
41-48 Strings
49-56 Ensemble
57-64 Brass
65-72 Reed
73-80 Pipe
81-88 Synth Lead
89-96 Synth Pad
97-104 Synth Effects
105-112 Ethnic
113-120 Percussive
121-128 Sound Effects

Jay 🎹

Edited by Jay C

Yep, I've tried not sending Bank Selects...and GM programs 113-120 are percussive instruments: #113 Tinkle Bell, #114 Agogo, #115 Steel Drums, etc, where all notes play the same sound at different pitches..I'm looking for GM drum kits, usually assigned to Ch10, where each note plays a different instrument in the kit: C3 typically plays Bass Drum,  C#3 Side Stick, D3 Snare, etc...many GM instruments have alternate kits that can  be selected as different Ch10 programs: #1 is the Standard Kit, #9 Room, #17 Power, etc....these are often variations of the standard kit with different sounds assigned: for example, the #41 Brush Kit in Yamaha synths has most of the same sounds as the #1 Standard Kit, except that brushed drum sounds are substituted for stick sounds...so the question is, does the CT-S1 have other drum kits besides the standard kit?  Or other individual drum sounds, like the brush sounds?

df