Video Files on Forum ×

CZ-101 vs CZ-1 video - David & Goliath!

Chas

I FINALLY finished my CZ-101 vs CZ-1 video. I started out thinking "this will be a quick one", but it then grew to Shogun style epic proportions as I got more in depth and more involved with it. Hopefully the end result was worth it!

What made me make the video was that many people have claimed that the Casio CZ-1 sounds different to the other Phase Distortion CZ synths. So I did a head to head comparison with my CZ-101 to see if this might be true. Expect to see some Casio CZ history, and to hear a whole lot of Phase Distortion examples showing just how powerful and flexible this type of synthesis can be, whether it’s from the little Bionic Baby CZ-101 or the Big Daddy CZ-1!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fascinating video. My own conclusion was that claims about one being more "lively" or "dynamic" than the other seem somewhat redolent of audiophile claims- these are very vague and subjective adjectives. Side by side, as you demonstrated, the two keyboards sounded the same, or at least very similar. At some points I closed my eyes and was unable to distinguish the keyboards as you alternated notes.

Regarding the oscilloscope traces on the square wave being more sloped on one than the other, that could be down to as little as a single capacitor value in the signal path having a lower value, either by design, tolerance or ageing. It means the more sloped one is passing a bit less bass end, which might be audible in the very low register.

• Thanks 1