Video Files on Forum ×

CT-S300 - can I get one particular sound?

I'm still finding my way round the voices of my CT-S300 and I've so far been unable to get close to one particular sound that I've loved for years now.  It's the keyboard that comes in at 3'50" in this video.   

Which tone is the nearest I'm going to get to that on my CT-S300?  Or, come the day I get the upgrade bug, which keyboard would give me that sound and some more like it?

Bryan Ferry is "playing" a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 in the video, though that might not be the actual sound that you are hearing. It sounds almost like an old String Synth, maybe with a bit of Chorus added to it, possibly an ARP Omni or even the Yamaha SS30. The Bryan Ferry version of Jealous Guy was released in early 1981, so that would exclude any synths that came later such as the Roland Jupiter 8 (Roland were highly regarded for their analogue synth strings sounds). Either way, a warm strings style patch with a bit of chorus effect added to it would likely get you in the same ball park. I don't have my CT-S300 set up right now, though I seem to recall it does have some strings style patches, but no chorus effect. Try selecting one its strings patches and put it through a chorus and you might start getting close.