Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X700 muting accompaniment during lesson watch mode

robc1122

I can't figure out how to mute the accompaniment playing while I am in Lesson, "watch" mode.  I've referred to my owner's manual and followed the steps but the accompaniment still plays.  Can someone help me with the steps necessary to mute the accompaniment volume during lesson mode? TIA

By the accompaniment, do you mean the left hand part, or the song backing tracks?

In watch mode, whichever part you have selected for practice will be muted automatically and shown on the display. If you select the left hand part, you'll mute it and see those notes on the display.

If you're talking about the accompanying song parts that you don't play as part of the lesson, go into the Function list > Scroll to select "SongVol" and set this to zero.

You should definitely check out my song mode tutorial series on Casio's YouTube channel (linked in my signature to this post below, may not be visible if you're browsing on a mobile device and not a computer),  I'm sure you'll find it much more useful and comprehensive than the manual.

Hope this helps!

Odd, that works for me with my CDP-S350, but I suppose that machine doesn't have access to the full three step lesson features. I was able to get it work just fine when just doing simple left/right hand practice in regular song mode (only using the part select button, not in Listen mode). I don't own a CT-X700 anymore so I can't test it myself.

If it's not working within the three step lesson mode, then it's probably not possible using the built-in lesson songs. You could try editing custom MIDI files and loading them into the song slots for use with lesson mode, making sure that you only put note data on MIDI channels 3 or 4 (those are the default channels for left and right hand parts in lesson mode). I cover this process in part 3-4 of my song mode tutorial.

For a simpler solution (but one that requires more equipment) you could also hook up to a tablet running the free Casio Music Space app, which has a built-in MIDI piano roll practice feature that is much more flexible (and readable) than the lesson features they built in to the X700. The playback settings of the MIDI player let you mute any or all of the parts playing across the sixteen different MIDI channels, so you could use that to mute everything but your piano parts. The app's built-in selection of lesson tunes is more or less comparable to what's in your CT-X700, plus it's much easier to download custom MIDI files to your tablet if you want to practice songs outside of the built in selection.