Video Files on Forum ×

MOTU-M4 USB Audio Interface - low line level volume from PX-5S

jaspeter

Does anyone use the MOTU-M4 USB audio interface with the PX-5S?  I finally acquired one and started fiddling with it this evening.  The line-level input from the PX-5S to the MOTU is quite low and, unfortunately, the interface doesn't allow for input gain adjustment on the line-level inputs.

The level is too low even though I've tried several possible solutions:

• Maxing out the volume knob has minimal effect
  • Adjusting the Zone and Tone volumes have minimal effect
  • Maxing out the master compressor level and master EQ level helps somewhat, but the output signal becomes quite distorted

I've also noticed that plugging directly into line-level inputs of a mixer generally results in a low volume.  I've been getting around this by using DIs and, as a result, the preamp in the mixer to amplify the signal.  I'm starting to wonder if the PX-5S line outputs are just generally low.

Could this be a result of "consumer line level" (-10dbV) versus "pro line level" (+4 dBu), perhaps?  I understand there is a 12 dB difference in signal levels in these two standards.  It would certainly explain the issues I'm experiencing with the audio interface as well as observations other folks have made in other forum posts concerning live sound.

I thought I had done my due diligence looking for previous threads about this before posting.

I had not. There is a discussion here, including Mike Martin talking about his MOTU interface.  I doubt there is anything new to add. 

I don't typically have an issue with my Roland Mobile Cube. I'm suspecting the output  overhead of the PX-5S and the input overhead of the MOTU may just be working against each other. I probably need to continue to tweak settings.

For anyone wondering, it turns out that the MOTU M4 just expects a hotter line level than many (most?) synths/keyboards output. It's not an issue with the PX-5S. I did more testing and found that my Yamaha Reface has the same issue with it.

More searching online turned up that most folks trying to run a keyboard through channels 3&4 of the MOTU-M4 experienced the same thing. 

Unfortunately, I let the MOTU sit around for several months before opening the box, so I don't think it's returnable. I'm going to have to sell it.