Video Files on Forum ×

Getting internal audio from my CT-S300 to my Macbook Air

Hello. I'm trying to livestream my piano playing on YouTube via OBS studio, using my Casio CT-S300.

I have used a 3.5mm TRS to USB C cable to connect my Casio's headphone output (the 3.5mm TRS plug) to my Macbook Air (the USB C end).   

There is no issue with my cable as my Casiotone is clearly being recognised as an input. Here is a screenshot of the "Audio MIDI Setup" app. TX 96Khz USB Audio 1 and 2 appear when my keyboard is plugged in

ayzceNA.png

And a screenshot of my Sound settings

NDP8CEq.png

However, when I press keys on my keyboard, the input volume does not change in my Sound settings. This suggests that the keyboard's sound isn't being picked up despite the connection.

I've gone into OBS studio to use the TX 96Khz USB Audio as an input device. From OBS studio, when I press keys on my keyboard, the input volume does fluctuate, as seen in the screenshot below. However, no actual sound from my Casiotone plays on my youtube channel.

206SMKp.png

I've also tried recording internal sound on Garageband, to no avail.

My next steps are going to be:

• Trying a TRS plug to TRS plug connection
  • Get a cheap USB audio interface

But I was wondering if anyone has any other advice I can consider. Thanks!

If you plug headphones into your CT-S300, and if you can hear the audio perfectly, then the issue will be at your MacBook end or with an OBS setting. 

OBS is a very powerful and extremely flexible program, but it also has a lot of settings that can catch you out if they're not set correctly. 

If you're not getting sound input with garage band either, then likely it's an issue with the way you are connecting the audio cables to your mac. I am not familiar with macs so I don't know how it deals with analogue audio signals going in via a USB C socket. Is the TX a USB C dongle? Does your mac have the ability to convert analogue audio to digital directly via its USB socket?

When I capture audio with both my desktop/ workstation PC and my laptops, I always use a USB audio capture device - a Behringer UMC404HD 4 x channel device for my workstation, and a Behringer UCA222  2 x channel device for when I'm using a laptop on location. Both show up a USB audio devices and I simply select them as my audio input for whatever app I'm using. 

BTW, if you're in the USA, Sweetwater have recently offered the UCA222 for $10 with free shipping. 

Hope some of this info helps!

Edited by Chas
  • Like 1