Video Files on Forum ×

Sustain (pedal) duration on some tones - editable? Or is there a workaround?

I've looked plenty and have concluded it probably isn't possible but thought it might be worth a shot in asking:

Is it possible to edit or change the duration of the sustain pedal effect on some tones like strings, pads, organs etc.?

I can see it's possible on the "sus" setting on the menus (as in, system sustain using the button), but can't find it for the pedal. My problem is: tones like strings stay indefinitely without any fade for as long as the pedal is pressed. This is intended I assume, but different than what I'm used to on my Yamaha. With the Yamaha, strings (and other) tones fade very slowly when the pedal is pressed, pretty much serving as a long release setting. In fact I can even let the pedal go, wait for the sound to decay it a bit and press it again - which is almost like a partial press.

My problem so far with the Casio is that the string sound stays indefinitely, but then when the pedal is released it ends abruptly. I know I could edit the release, but then every note would have a slow release and I'd lose the ability for quicker phrases.

Thanks for any ideas and workarounds , too.

You could set up a registration that uses the envelope performance control parameters to give the selected tone a longer release. That will make it fade slower when you release the keys. If you leave the release parameter on one of the assignable control knobs,  you can adjust the release amount on the fly. 

Alternatively, set up two registrations with the same string tone, and give one a short release and the other a longer release. Then switch between registrations depending on whether you need a long or short release. 

Check out my video @22.40 where I demonstrate using the envelopes with a tone:

Edited by Chas

On 11/30/2022 at 5:05 PM, Chas said:

You could set up a registration that uses the envelope performance control parameters to give the selected tone a longer release. That will make it fade slower when you release the keys. If you leave the release parameter on one of the assignable control knobs,  you can adjust the release amount on the fly. 

Alternatively, set up two registrations with the same string tone, and give one a short release and the other a longer release. Then switch between registrations depending on whether you need a long or short release. 

Check out my video @22.40 where I demonstrate using the envelopes with a tone:

Thanks a lot. 

Setting the knob for release is a good idea, but it sounds a bit impractical to use several times per song. But having two registrations for the same tone with different releases  is a very interesting workaround idea, thank you!

Edited by Soestrada