Video Files on Forum ×

Casio SA-76 successor - the SA-80/ 81

Chas

Look what just popped up in my notifications!

Finally we get an updated model of the now quite old (but still good) SA-76/ 77/ 78.

Many of the improvements are similar to those found in the recently released SA-50/ 51. Reverb and sustain functions are very welcome, and the octave shift is also a big improvement (assuming that  the -1 goes an octave below the SA-76's range). The layering function is a big surprise, and though the SA-80/ 81 still has just 100 presets, being able to layer them massively expands its sonic palette and possibilities. A more detailed display is also a nice improvement. Increased polyphony (32 notes) is good too. Not sure how different the tones and drum sounds are compared to the SA-76. I had heard that the SA-50's tones were updated over the SA-46, so maybe they've been tweaked?

Only main disappointments that I can see is it still lacks a dedicated line out, and USB MIDI would have really opened it up to a much larger market segment.

If I were looking for a very small, compact keyboard with good selection of features, and I didn't have an SA-76, I'd be checking this out. As I already have an SA-76, it doesn't quite have enough over that model for me to get one. If it had USB MIDI and a proper line out, I'd have placed an order for it already.

Edited by Chas

• 6 months later...