Video Files on Forum ×

Ain't Nobody and JK's Sweet L2 How to install

pianoralf

Hi all,

we find in the download section

2 Files for "Ain't Nobody"  from JimmyJames and IM29

And one phrase "JK's Sweet L2"  

For better understanding install the phrase from Jimmyjames and the StageSetting fom IM29

I tried to install and had some problems. I am not one of the 2 uploaders, but I think is a good idea to discuss here which problems we have to import such files to our keyboard and learn about the restrictions of the editor.

If you install the file from IM29 http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/files/file/49-aint-nobody/

you will notice that

1. The filename contains HTML code for characters
Aint't Nobody.3 ist displayed as Ain&39;t. Nobody 3.ZPF. ---> So we should not only use standard characters.

2.  The uploader  IM29 tried to rename the StageSetting within the PC Edtior. When I installed it on my keyboard the Name was "JK's Sweet L2"

Unfortunately renaming in the PCEditor or the filename does not rename the StageSetting Name if you transfer it back to the keyboard.

---> We need a fix for the PC Editor. This must be a known bug, because I found in the manual, that renaming does not rename the Names inside the keyboard. I had a look inside the file and found the "JK's Sweet L2" inside, but not "Ain't Nobody". So it must possible and we demand a fix!

@Mike Would you please assign this to the Casio testmanager. Thank you.

3.  It was unclear where to put the phrase in.

The Stage setting has just pointers to the Number, where the phrase is located to the piano.

In the ZPF file it points to U-102. So If you want to put the ZPH file (the Phrase) to a different locaton, we can do this,

but then we have to edit the stage setting

Now: Where should the phrase be used?

I think it was made for ZONE1

And it is a Arpeggio phrase. -> The assignment U-102 was made for Arpeggio. This you can see, if you press the Arpeggio Button long

If you had put the phrase somewhee else (in my case I put it into 111) I corrected it there to 111.

Now you have to turn off the button "phrase"

and then turn on the Button "Arpeggio" and press the Button SYS Setting at the same time, so that you'l get the HOLD function (Arpeggio flashing)

Now if you press the lowest key on your keyboard, the arpeggio should be heard. If you had used the StageSetting filter for Tempo, you have to adjust the Tempo to 200.

Now you can play the Zone 2 in a small range above the lowest key with a string sound.

From e-1 upwards there is a clavi sound up to G2.

Above that key you hear nothing if you play on these key. IM29 has configured that for playing an external MIDI device.

I wondered why we have several places to assign phrases and found out.

The Phrase which you select in Stage Setting, Common Edit, Phrase, assigns the number you get if you press the "PHRASE" button.

The PHRASE Button will play phrases only for ZONE 1 (correct me If I am wrong)

The Arpeggio Button can be pressed long. Then you will be able to select a phrase or arpeggo for Zone 1 - 4 by pressing the Zone/Part/Track -+ Buttons. This setting you will also find if you press Edit, StageSetting, ZoneEdit, Controller Edit, (scroll down) and then Arpeggio Select

Scoll down and there you will find the "Arp Phrase Numb" and the Name "Ain't Nobody".

Same you will find in the EditorSoftware, but on the StageSetting Tab and "Zone" Tab you must scroll down to "Arpeggio"

The Phrasesetting , which you find on the "Common" tab, corresponds to the phrase number which is mentioned above (Zone1 Phrase)

So we have a very complex machine, but mighty!

Maybe IM29 could use the SongSequencer to record a 3 track demo, for the song. This would be a great demo for the capacities.

Best greetings from Ralf

I just found out how to rename a stage setting on the  pc Editor. Use Tab "Stage Setting". There you find the Data selector. Load a StageSetting which should be renamed and then edit the Name in the Edit field right hand side of the Load Data Button. Then you have to press the "Save as User Data" Button. This is the button with a green arrow to a memory chip.

Normal parameters are send directly to the keyboard when you change it in the pc editor,

But the name will only be transmitted within a whole data dump

The Keys Keyboard picture in the Editor should have Numbers. (C0, C1, C3 which is the middle C) 

It has more than 88 keys and so it is not clear where I am.

In the discussed Stage Setting you will see Zone 1 for more than an octave, but on our keyboard it is only one key usable.

At the moment I am not sure, if the Stage Setting tansports even the tone data. So when you press "Write" , you can select "Stage Setting" or "Tone".
What is to do if you have modified the "tone"?
In the discussed StageSetting it uses Hex U 50 for Zone 1. This is a Hex Layer with 6 Oscillators. The Name on the Button in Zone 1 Tone but if you press the button it is called "Hex E Piano1" . I am a little confused. I guess this was the template where the user started to modify .

If the StageSetup transports the changed Tone Data, for what do we need to store them separately?

Ralf, thank you for your feedback on the complications involved in creating, importing, renaming, downloading and using "user" Stage Settings.  My creation of the "Ain't Nobody" phrase and an associated Stage Setting, JK Sweet L2, came from a Facebook group discussion.  I then had some private correspondence with IM29 about redoing and posting his further alterations to the JK Sweet L2 Stage Setting.  I found it to be very interesting how he organized it for his purposes, 

Notwithstanding, I can see that user posted Stage Settings will probably be of a different quality and nature than Stage Settings that Mike Martin has created.  Perhaps here in the downloads section, there should be a couple different areas set up...one's from Mike and other "professionals", and then ones from users like the rest of us.  You can sort by author but this distinction doesn't mean much to a newcomer who may not know who are the professionals and who are not.  Nonetheless, I really wish other users would start posting their custom Stage Settings.  It is the best way to vet this machine and to share ideas.  Don't be shy!!!  We are all trying to get our arms around this very deep and unique machine.  If you do post though, please try as best you can to give a detailed description of how the setting functions.

Just a further note on unsaved Hex Layers and Tones within Stage Settings from your immediately previous comment.  You will note that for many of the factory presets, the underlying Hex Layers and Tones remain in an edited unsaved, state with names that have little bearing on what they actually sound like.  I think this will just be something that we will all need to understand is part of the architecture of this machine.  IMO there's no need to dot every "i" and cross every "t" when you can just set it and forget it within a Stage Setting.

Edit: Now I understand why we have an option to save the "tone". Even if it is saved within a stage setup,

it might be usefull to have a tone which you have created for one Zone in another Zone or in a totally different StageSetup.

So save the "tone" you have yust created to by pressing "Write" and then selecting "tone" to a userdefind place.

Now you can recall a different StageSetup and load that tone for a zone.

If you give this StageSetup to someone else, he/she must not have the saved "tone, because all parameters are stored within the Stagesetup.

Its is just for transporting all Tone Data to another setup.

Correct?

Yes Ralf, my experience indicates you are correct.  I have saved a couple of my custom tones as user tones but for the most part I have just left them in Stage Settings.  I'm not sure it works the same way for phrases though i.e that they can exist as part of a Stage Setting but not as a saved phrase.  That is why I saved the "Ain't Nobody" phrase as a phrase to be downloaded together with the JK Sweet L2 Stage Setting.

BTW, thank you for articulating and logging the various issues you are finding with the PX-5S.  Not to take anything away from this amazingly capable keyboard, I too have had my frustrations with the way certain things function (or don't).  For example, I already posted the problem with transmitting any CC values over 100 to control another keyboard or module that have things tied to these values, like the Nord Electro 4.  While I know Casio is making no commitment to another firmware upgrade, I really hope that they do at least one, if not to enhance the sounds available, at least to fix bugs.  I'll tell you, I grew very angry with Nord when they gave up support for the NE2, not to make it better, but even for simple things like updating drivers for updated versions of Windows.  There needs to be some basic level of product support that lasts for several years.  Even at the great price for the PX-5S, these keyboards are not cheap.  I can't imagine it is a tremendous investment of time or money for these companies to at least keep basic functions current and I think it makes for more loyal customers.