Video Files on Forum ×

Organ gliss coolness

jaspeter

I thought I'd share a little tidbit that made me giddy today.  Apologies to the vets that may have already known about this, but I was pretty excited about it.

I wanted to be able to do a distortion organ glissando starting from the low, low end to the high, for kind of a "roaring" effect.  When I used the sustain pedal, it way overpowered it into a noisy din.  Without the sustain, it was more boring than "roaring".  I thought I'd extend the release part of the envelope for that zone, which had the desired effect for the glissando, but muddied up anything else I wanted to play.

Then I realized you can assign the sustain pedal to CC72: Release.  You still have to set the envelope release in Tone Edit - Amp, but then you set the Pedal1 Target to CC72, and the Min and Max to 0 and some max value, respectively.  I'm guessing the max value, say 100, will give you 100/127 of the value you entered in the Tone Edit - Amp for the release.  Now, the sustain pedal will only hold for the extended release instead of indefinitely.  Cool!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Ah. I don't think I ever uploaded one. I just used one of the preset distortion organ tones and applied those changes I mentioned to a stage setting with otherwise generic properties.

In the meantime, I found out that effect is more practically implemented by using your whole hand to do a "palm gliss" rather than just the fingertips to do a regular glissando. Although, there are still other instances in which it is handy to be able to change the envelope parameters on the fly.