Video Files on Forum ×

Audio Cable Recomendations

Scottym

Because my studio setup has never required dedicated Jack to Jack audio cables and music production has focused being pretty much made inside software, my need for them hasn't been an issue really. I don't even have an external audio mixer to be inclined to use my older synths I've been using over the years. Connectivity wise, using phono leads to amplifiers has always been the way besides monitoring on headphones.

However, now that my studio has grown with new audio hardware such as having a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 which allows for '2 line in's', the convention of connecting a standard 3.5mm lead to 2 jack plugs at either end doesn't give great results or in other words lots of interference. So I'm pretty sure this is down to the cable not being shielded. However I'm not 100% positive if this is due to using stereo jack plugs in mono inputs of the audio interface rather than dedicated mono cables as I don't hear interference when using a stereo output to stereo input with a standard dual 3.5mm stereo jack cable with other hardware devices.

So I'm wondering what you would recommend cable wise for connecting the XW's to an audio interface ? I'm looking at a few jack to jack options here in the UK websites but thought I'd query your thoughts and suggestions. Mono or stereo,  low price, gold contacts ect.

Thanks.

If you want to connect your XW to the Focusrite, it looks to me like you need two 1/4" mono to 1/4" mono jack leads. You can get away with one mono lead though you will lose the stereo DSP's of the XW.

There are loads of places that sell leads cheaply - Ebay is always a good source. Here's an example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-Twin-MONO-1-4-Jack-to-Jack-6-3mm-CABLE-6-35-LEAD-/360270439535?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item53e1caa46f

It is never advisable to use a stereo jack in a mono socket or vice versa, as like you have found, you'll probably get unwanted noise and interference.

Thanks for the replies and links dudes, lots of complex reading material there. FB Linky no worky though.

I'll be doing some relocation of my setup so will try and isolate all my hard drives, audio interfaces, computer ect the best I can in addition to acquiring some decent cables.