Video Files on Forum ×

Connecting with Set List Maker/Organizer and an external module

IM29

Trying to set up the keyboard along with an iPad to control set list changes and a couple of external sound modules. I'd like to be able to pass-along any bank/voice changes from the iPad to the right instrument -- either the keyboard, or one of the external sound modules, and then play that sound. Right now, I can pass along either bank/voice changes or keyboard (ie., note on/off) information but not both.

I also have the problem that any bank/voice changes the iPad sends are intercepted on the keyboard in addition to the external modules -- I'm sure there's a way to specify the right target (simply setting the MIDI Channel didn't seem to do the trick but I'm not 100% sure about this.)

I am connecting the iPad to the PX-5s via a USB cable and then using a MIDI out cable to link to the external modules.

Would appreciate some advice on the correct setup to achieve this.

Thanks!!!

You're getting into some fun MIDI stuff. :o

There are a few ways to do this:

1. My recommended method is that you use the Stage Settings on the PX-5S to change the sounds on the external modules. This way you simply select the Stage Setting from the iPad, it recalls it on the PX-5S which sends the proper changes to you external gear. By doing this you can still operate the PX-5S and the other gear even if the iPad is not available.

2. If you want to use the iPad for everything:

Usually the 4 zones on the PX-5S will simply use MIDI channels 1-4 for internal sounds. That being said, I'd recommend that you're external modules are using other MIDI channels. That way an incoming patch change for another tone module will not interfere with PX-5S sounds at all. You can also disable MIDI channels on the PX-5S under System Settings / Sound Generator but this shouldn't be neccessary.

Mike,

How do I solve the problem that the PX-5s seems to be passing either Keyboard data or USB data but not both? I thought they were independent but so far it seems to not be the case. The iPad is connected to the keyboard via a USB cable and the keyboard in turn is connected to the external modules with a MIDI cable. I will need to set it up such that the incoming USB bank/voice changes are passed along through the MIDI cable together with any note on/off (and other controller) data.

Suggestions?

Thanks again for all your help.

IM29,

They are indepedent in that when you're using the PX-5S as a controller you can independently control an iPad based synth over USB while simultaneously control another MIDI device on the standard MIDI port.

You're asking for the MIDI out to be a THRU Port for what is coming in from USB....and you want it MERGED with what the PX-5S is generating. Taking a quick look, but I'm not certain this is possible. That is why having the PX-5S send all the program changes to external gear is the best solution.

Mike, thanks. I'll wait to hear back from you after you take a look. I assume that this is not an issue if I use a MIDI cable from the iPad to the keyboard and then out to the sound modules? That is, merging the data from MIDI in to MIDI out works? Want to confirm before I go ahead and buy a MIDI interface hardware for the iPad.

Thanks again.