Video Files on Forum ×

Is it worth having a P1 AND a G1?

Chas

Just a quick question here regarding the merits of the P1 and G1, and whether it is worth having both.

I am the proud owner a P1 (among about 15 other Casios!), which I chose over the G1 as the HEX layer sounds and the drawbar emulator I felt were more useful to me than the G1's sampling. However, with the prices of the G1's falling over the past year I am wondering if G1 owners may recommend it as well as a P1?

It is worth bearing in mind that I also have an FZ20M, so I do have a Casio sampler already,

What I'd like to know is, what advantages does the G1 have over the P1? From what I can tell, it has the sampling section, more drum samples and more real time control over the solo synth section. Though those are nice, I am not sure that is enough for me to warrant purchasing a G1 as well. Are these the main differences between the two models? As they are rather rare I have not had much chance to try out a G1.

Anyone have both and can vouch for the usefulness of having a P1 and a G1? Would a G1 be useful enough to me bearing in mind I already have a P1?

Looking forward to hearing some opinions!

Chas

Hi Chas.. I have a G1 and I love it. There is one other thing it goes that you didn't list is the sample looper: This lets you build up loops in realtime, either using the internal sounds OR external sound sources (like your other Casios). One of my favorite features. You can build up some really complex grooves with unique sounds in just seconds using the sample looper. 

• Like 2

Hello:

The differences between XW-P1 and XW-G1:

XW-P1:

- HexLayer.
- Drawbar Organ Mode.

XW-G1:

- Sample Looper.
- Sample Player.

Also depends on the style of music you like. I can not say what is best for you. I do not know you.

My team consists of:

- CASIO XW-P1.
- KORG Electribe MX EMX-1SD.
- KORG monotribe.

I thought I made a mistake buying the XW-P1. But now I'm very happy with it.

I make electronic music, but the XW-P1 taught me to make electronic music from the human side.

Scott Hamlin own a CASIO XW-G1. You can ask him.

Edited by DAVID
  • Like 1

When it is about sound creation and designing using the Hexlayer or Solo synth both are equally accustomed,

However the P1 has more Hex layer capability then the G1 and a variety of  extended tones to play with like

Piano ,Organ drawbars which are also better in tone quality then the G1 does. 

The G1 as being a groove synth max to four Hexlayer  has a variety more drums then the P1 less on instruments

but in addition you can create (recently discovered) multi-samples which can enrich your hexlayer, As it is 16 bit 

samples depending on the quality you can use all the sample banks for one rich multi-sample or each of the eight

sample banks as additional sampled instrument tones. The looper let you instantly create or add loops to your

repertoire.  

Creating a solo synth on the G1 also has the capability to add sampled wave forms to it if sliced very well your

sound design go's beyond the sound available even with the Solo synth, I don't think the P1 can add samples to

the solo synth. 

Both are evenly great synth it's just what the keyboardist seeks to add in his/her repertoire. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Many thanks for the responses and the very useful information. Also, sorry for the delay in responding. I posted my first message on the first day of my vacation to Florida. From that day onwards I spent most of the time outside, enjoying the sun, my friends and Thanksgiving than I did online. Coming from the UK, it was much more a priority to enjoy the outdoors considering the weather in the UK is *ugh*, with freezing temps and bad storms sweeping the country. Since coming home yesterday I've finally been able to catch up with stuff online.

Anyway, the reason I looked into getting a G1 was because a shop on Ebay UK was selling some off at £199. By the time I'd posted up my initial query here, they'd all gone! My jury was still out as to whether I should get a G1 to go with my P1 (and all my other Casios), and I still wasn't sure if it offered enough for me to justify yet another Casio purchase. That and the fact that I have about 15 Casios already, plus a Roland JX3P and a Korg DW8000 (with about 20 basses/ guitars just to add to the mix!) But I just love Casios and their immense value for money and unique characters.

I always check Ebay for potential Casio bargains, and a quick search today pulled up a Casio XW-G1, used once, boxed with manuals, for BIN £170 delivered! Suffice to say, the BIN was swiftly pressed and it looks like I now have a G1 to add to my collection as my Xmas present. Now I need a triple keyboard stand because at present my P1 and MZ2000 share the stand in my room. I wish I had room to have most of my gear set up, but I have to swap boards around, and the MZ is quite a big old beast...

I am excited at adding the G1 to my synth arsenal, though I'm still not sure quite what I'll be doing with it and what I can do with it! The sampler facility looks to be fun, and I am looking forward to discovering the extra drum sets (which are more easily modified/ insert new kits I believe?) And more real time control over the solo synth parameters? It will be interesting to see just how much it will compliment my P1, and how different it is at the same time.

Xmas 2012 = Casio XW-P1

Xmas 2013 = Casio XW-G1!

I wonder what Xmas 2014 will bring?  ;)

• Like 1