Video Files on Forum ×

pattern sequencer-making a longer pattern

Surfcat

What you want to do is covered beginning on Page 111 of the manual - the section entitled "To create a new rhythm from scratch", but there are several pitfalls that the manual doesn't stress or cover very well.

To begin with, if you want to create your own pattern from scratch, you MUST start with an EMPTY User Rhythm slot or CLEAR the existing data from a "busy" User Rhythm slot, otherwise the keyboard assumes you just want to edit existing data and will not allow you to set (or change) the number of measures or the time signature.  This is covered in Steps 1 through 4 on Page 111, but go through them step by step, as they cover other set up items.

So - start with the keyboard powered OFF.

Power the keyboard ON.

Press the "F - USER RHYTHMS" button to select the User Rhythm area.

Use the data wheel to select an EMPTY User Rhythm slot.  The display MUST show "No Data" for that User Rhythm slot, otherwise it has existing data in it, and you will not be able to continue unless you CLEAR it.  Perform the other items in Steps 1 through 4.

When you get to Step 5 (actually Step 4 from Page 109), this is what you will be doing to set the number of measures and time signature:

Press the "PATTERN SEQUENCER" button to bring up the Pattern Sequencer screen.

DO NOT press the RECORD button at any time during this part of the procedure.  The manual will tell you later when to do that.

PRESS AND HOLD the FUNCTION button as you press the PATTERN SEQUENCER button a second time to bring up the EDIT screen for the Pattern Sequencer.

RIGHT ARROW one time to go to Page 2 of the EDIT menu.

DOWN ARROW one time to select "Element Edit" and press ENTER.

This brings you to the menu you have been looking for.

The top option allows you to CLEAR the pattern if necessary, but no need here, as we started with an EMPTY rhythm slot to begin with, but this is where you would CLEAR existing data if you had started with a "busy" User Rhythm slot.

DOWN ARROW one time and use the data wheel or +/- buttons to set the number of measures (up to 16) that you want to record.

DOWN ARROW a second time and set the time signature for your pattern.

Press the EXIT button TWICE to return to the "Pattern Sequencer" page.

Return to Step 6 on Page 111 of the manual and continue with recording your pattern.

Good luck - and - ENJOY !

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I've got a 7200 on the way, and I've read the online manual, but I couldnt tell how you use the new patterns created from scratch to create a Song.  I'm sure I'll figure it out once I get the board, but it would be nice to know how before the board arrives.  Thanks.