Video Files on Forum ×

Strange noise in phones and recording

sgranzo

Hi all, i'm new in this forum and i'm from Italy (so i hope you will forgive me for my bad english).

i bought the PX5S a few weeks ago, and i'm going mad whit a strange noise in the back when i hear myself whit the phones and when i'm recording:

1 ) just only plugging the phones in the appropriate slot i start to hear a hiss, something like a blow (SSSSSS) indipendent from the master volume.

i'm using a pair of AKG K66 (32 ohm) but also with some other phones from a couple of friends i have the same problem:

plug the phones in ---> ssssssss i hear the hiss. only with the high impedence ones i don't hear anything, but i think it's only because i hear a lower sound volume.

2) now, when i record my audio tracks in ableton live going into a focusrite scarlett 2i2 with jack-jack reference cables (all connected to my macmini 2012) i have something like the same problem: i see the audio wave dirty also in the parts of silence... and when i normalize it i hear it clearly: sssss

in a first time i thought it was a problem of my house electric system but i have the same issue if i go with batteries, disconnecting my piano from the electric circuit.

so, is there some way to fix the problem or have i to take the px5s back to the shop and ask them for a checkup?

thanks to all who will answer!

Enrico

• 3 weeks later...

check the cable coming from the laptop.  the "cheaper the cable, the likely more buzz; the longer the cable the more likely the buzz.  laptop audio electronics are some of the worst. the lightest cheapest components are used to keep the machine light.  test the laptop connect to a hhi-fi system if you can.  use shielded cables if possible with quuality adapters.  the checklist goes on and on for any electronic component.  A laptop likely has bluetooth and a wi-fi adapter.   these can receive interference and transfer the noise along a cable.  Make sure no cell phone is nearby - these transmit interference as well.  your wall outlets may not be properly grounded, there's too many things to list but to track it down, you have to do a process of elimination until you are sure it is just the px-5s.  if that's the case, it's likely a bad ground somewhere on the machine - with all of the different connections, the choices are many.  A bad pedal cable (or pedal itself), a bad midi cable, the actual connection ports, etc.