Video Files on Forum ×

Creating a legendary Roland piano Tone

Reg MidiStage

Hi and welcome to the Casio Forums.  Just going by what I hear in the audio demo, it sounds like a synthesized piano from the 80s - maybe the MKS-10 or 20? Anyway, the PX-5S can get real close to this - some of the sounds in Dave Weiser's Classic Keys pack (free download) come real close already.. I think they use some of the electric grand tones - they would just need to me massaged to get the exact tone you want. 

Hi Scott, you are spot on. Thank you for your instant response.

I am thinking to get this stage piano as a main keyboard. Allow me to ask you questions while I am trying to understand this beast:

My desired stage sounds set are:

1. Piano MKS

2. Strings

3. WarmPad

4. Brass Section

5. AngelVox

6. Organ

#1 - I am aware of 6 Oscillators & 256 Polyphony in this keyboard. However, there is no ROM size i.e. Yamaha Motif/MOXF WAV ROM is 741MB. Does it enough resources for above stage set I desired?

#2 - Does this Stage Piano architecture able to layer 6 sounds within 4 zones and individually volume controlled by sliders 1-6? I am lost here...

#3 - I experienced notes cut-off when playing a Motif XF. I was using a slightly modified "Yamaha Concerto" Performance - 3 Voices & 1 User preset (4 parts). Will Casio eliminate this lack of polyphony issue?

Thank you again and looking forward to your insight.

Hi Scott, you are spot on. Thank you for your instant response.

I am thinking to get this stage piano as a main keyboard. Allow me to ask you questions while I am trying to understand this beast:

My desired stage sounds set are:

1. Piano MKS

2. Strings

3. WarmPad

4. Brass Section

5. AngelVox

6. Organ

#1 - I am aware of 6 Oscillators & 256 Polyphony in this keyboard. However, there is no ROM size i.e. Yamaha Motif/MOXF WAV ROM is 741MB. Does it enough resources for above stage set I desired?

#2 - Does this Stage Piano architecture able to layer 6 sounds within 4 zones and individually volume controlled by sliders 1-6? I am lost here...

#3 - I experienced notes cut-off when playing a Motif XF. I was using a slightly modified "Yamaha Concerto" Performance - 3 Voices & 1 User preset (4 parts). Will Casio eliminate this lack of polyphony issue?

Thank you again and looking forward to your insight.

1- Plenty of resources. You can actually layer 2 "hexlayers" of 6 osc. each and 2 other  "melody" tones (basically editable preset sounds) for a total of 14 total sounds.

2- Again. 14 sounds are possible -- split/layered in ANY way across the keyboard - no rules - with the knobs and sliders able to control the layers.

3- I have tried to run out of notes on the PX-5S and couldn't do it with normal playing. I had to stack up 14 tones and sustain them and play huge chords to drop notes.. even then the voice allocation programming made it sound like it was all there. In other words, you will not have an issue with dropped notes.

It's a beast of a machine.. and with all the free sound downloads here and our Facebook support group it makes it even better! 

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply.

1- Plenty of resources. You can actually layer 2 "hexlayers" of 6 osc. each and 2 other  "melody" tones (basically editable preset sounds) for a total of 14 total sounds.

I am still curious with the amount of resources. How many Oscillator / Melody are required to construct each good quality sound I desired earlier below?

1. Piano MKS - Dave Weiser's Classic Keys pack
2. Strings
3. WarmPad
4. Brass Section - similar to Poly Brass
5. AngelVox
6. Organ

There are a number of ways you can use the resources - that is what is great about the PX-5S - lots of flexibility. 

Let's do an example: If Piano MKS is a hexlayer (not sure, but let's say it is) you would use one hexlayer for that (6 osc) so that takes care of the piano:

Now let's looks at the other 5 sounds:

You could just use another hexlayer to make the rest (split and/or layered across the keyboard ANYWAY you want (1 osc per voice - using 5 out of 6 available for the hexlayer)

^^^ So THAT would be the MINIMUM way to to it.

Let's say you wanted some thicker string or pad: You could use the left over from the hexlayer to thicken up the strings or pad. - BAM - done!

BUT - You still have 2 melody tones to use wherever you want... So you could do it this way and double up the osc. on the strings/pad/brass.

Zone 1: Piano MKS hexlayer

Zone 2: Strings/Pad/Brass hexlayer (2 osc for strings / 2 for the pad/ 2 for the brass)

Zone 3: Angel Vox melody tone

Zone 4: Organ melody tone

^^ Again all of these can be split and layered how you want. -- NO RULES! ^^^

That is just a couple of examples of how you could arrange that sound list - depending on how thick and complex you want each sound, you can re-arrange what ones get doubled up or even tripled up. (If one layer of strings is enough you could use 3 for the pad or brass) 

I think you are starting to see the flexibility of the PX-5S  :) 

Feel free to join the Facebook group linked in my signature - you will be able to meet other users who have a lot more tricks than I do.  B) 

• Like 1