Video Files on Forum ×

Powering off a PX5s swiching off the mains supply.

mike71

I was wondering if could be a problem if I switch off the power supply switching off the 230 V line instead of pushing the on-off button of the unit.

I am thinking of think like memory corruption o damages to the electronics.  I could suppse that is a proble if the power cuts when something is being written to the USB key.

Because sometimes I am in a hurry and switch off all switching on the power strip.

You should be okay. Most electronics has to be tested to survive such power losses (that's how the circuits view such an event). It would be a poor product indeed that could not (but there have been some).

Loss of power during a memory save is yet another thing that most good products can handle without damage (and in some cases without error), at least wrt internal Flash memory. I can tell you that the circuits I designed for products were bullet-proof in that regard, but then again they weren't price-sensitive consumer products. In your case it is easy to avoid switching the power off during a save operation.

A save operation to an SD or USB Flash memory device is yet another matter. In this case the circuitry in the device limits what can be done so there is less control of possible corruption during a power loss. But, again, you have control over when the power loss happens when using the power bar. OTOH, you can't do anything if a sudden power loss not under your control happens when you are saving to the device. But that risk is the same for most equipment that can save to those devices. 

On 2/25/2018 at 6:40 PM, mike71 said:

I was wondering if could be a problem if I switch off the power supply switching off the 230 V line instead of pushing the on-off button of the unit.

I am thinking of think like memory corruption o damages to the electronics.  I could suppse that is a proble if the power cuts when something is being written to the USB key.

Because sometimes I am in a hurry and switch off all switching on the power strip.

The PX-5S will be fine, of course if it has batteries installed it won't turn off even if you cut the power! I'd be more concerned about the speakers or headphones, especially in the power up sequence. The speakers or headphone should be turned on last and turned off first to prevent those loud "pops" that *could* do some damage.

So to answer your question, you'll probably be OK but you really should really get in the habit of power up/down the equipment in the right order. 

I was wondering about some strange quirk of the system. I suppose that the soft switch made with a push button  instead of a proper switch was made as a cost-cutting measure and because the power supply is external. On the other hand having a soft switch makes easy for the system to make a shut down sequence.