Video Files on Forum ×

Where can I find sounds for popular 80s synth songs

Nurse

Hi, im not a keyboard or synth player but I have been given the task of trying to programe authentic 80s synth sounds in to a Casio Cz1000. 

I have followed the manual and using the wave and envelope buttons recreated some of the sounds it came with but I really need authentic sounds for the following. 

99 red balloons 

Jump 

together I’m electric dreams and more. 

I don’t want to use midi I want to programme them in to the keyboard and save them. Just need to know what settings I need for each sound. Or even how to find them online. 

Im a drummer so this is a new world to me but I’m willing to give it a go. Hope someone can help. 

thanks 

Ah, just seen that you don't want to use MIDI, and appear to want to program all the patch data in manually? Most patches are only available as SYSEX files, there's not much out there showing all the individual patch data information.

Also, unless you have the RA3 ram cartridge, or keep batteries in your CZ1000, you are aware that the CZ101 and 1000 models don't retain their user patch data memories when switched off?

Hey chas. 

Ive managed to save sounds to the internal bank which have stayed even after turning the keyboard off and on many times. 

Im aware I can only save 16 sounds but that should be enough. 

we don’t want to use midi as we don’t want a laptop etc on stage with us. 

So so that’s why I want to programme the sounds in manually and store them to the device. Just need to know where to find them. 

Ive created one or two sounds that are close to what we are after but that was more Guess work and luck. 

You don't need a laptop on stage in order to use MIDI to load sounds into your CZ because you would normally do that beforehand (i..e., at home).  If you still feel you need to avoid using MIDI you could load a CZ librarian program on your PC and then load sounds into it. Examine the settings shown on the screen and then laboriously copy them into the CZ's menus. 

It's a lot of work you shouldn't need to do, especially considering that you can't audition a sound until its parameters are fully entered, but maybe you like doing things the hard way, just for the challenge.

You may be lucky and have your CZ keep its user patches when it's switched off, though that's unusual as most 101's/ 1000's don't. They have no internal battery, and its suspected that they use a capacitor to hold a charge to keep the user memory intact, that worked when new but not years later. The bigger CZ's (3000/ 5000/ 1) had either AA batteries for memory back up, or in the case of the CZ-1, an internal button battery.

Ensure that your CZ keeps the user patches when switched off AND with the power supply disconnected from the CZ. The PSU can hold enough charge in its windings, even when switched off and removed from the mains, to keep the user memory intact. But the moment you pull it out from the CZ you will lose the patches. The only sure way to retain user patches is to keep a full set of batteries in the CZ101/ 1000, or to have a (rare and pricey) RA3 ram card.

As AlenK says above, you don't need a laptop onstage to load in the sounds. You need to load the sounds in via computer BEFORE you take the CZ, and as mentioned above, you must ensure that your CZ will retain user patches when switched off and with the PSU disconnected from the CZ.

There used to be books out there from years back that showed all the raw patch data for different types of sounds. They are rare and hard to find now though, plus many of the "good" sounds have been created recently (see some of my other posts in this CZ section). Sometimes you can get hold of the raw patch data, other times (i.e. CZounds) you need to buy the actual sounds and upload them into your CZ before you will see the actual data.

There's also a dedicated Yahoo Group (yes, Yahoo Groups still exist!) that you might be able to find patches and data.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CZsynth/info

Another option is to get this little standalone unit that holds 1000's of patches, and also includes an arpeggiator:

Here's a video showing examples of the CZounds 80's Pop bank: