Video Files on Forum ×

Microphone!

bigtallmusic

Hey guys. I'm the recent owner of a used XW-P1, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to get sounds from an external mic. I know the mic works, I know the cable is good. I downloaded a manual, after not receiving one with the unit, and there's nothing in there that explains the process of getting sound. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, so if any of you could talk me through that, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks for your time!

J

If you just want to get audio from the mic to the output of the XW-P1 to mix with its own sound, you will need to go into the mixer and enable the external part (see page E-67 and E-68 in the User's Guide). You might also need to adjust the mic volume using the preamp volume knob immediately beside the mic input. You can route the audio through the XW-P1's effects if you want.

If you want to do pitch shifting of the audio (to do, for example, what is shown in the video from Mike Martin in this thread) you must instead use the so-called external oscillator of the solo synth. Rather than go into a long explanation of how to do that beyond what Mike states in the thread I will just point you to The XW-P1 Companion, downloadable here.

Thanks for the effort, Alen! I'll admit, I'm not a synth guy, so this is all kinda new to me. I for the first time got my voice to come through the mic, but it does not respond to pitch based on playing different notes. I downloaded that companion, so maybe that will tell me what I'm missing.