Video Files on Forum ×

occasional dead A6 key/note

dama

Recently one of my keys will not play. Sometimes it plays and sometimes it doesn't. it happens more if I strike the key harder in the middle to upper portion and less at the bottom of the key.I've had it about five years now. Anyone know about what it would cost to fix this. I'm not sure if it is a contact issue and I don't know if it's too complicated for me to open it up to fix.

It's possuble to change the rubber pads yourself, that probably are worn or dirt. 

I have done it on an okl K5000S Kawai syntesizer, and because no spares for the pad are available i did it the McGuywer way. I cleaned the pads with a swab and some contant cleaner and then I used an 8B pencil to put back some graphite. Of couse if you find the spares is better to change the pads. On this site tharea photos explaining how to open Casio keyboards.

If you dig around, there are threads for other Privia models about disassembling them. You can check those out and see if the project is more than you want to take on. If you go this route, you probably don't need to replace the rubber strips, just clean them and the board underneath.

However, Brad has often posted that he recommends using a can of compressed air between the keys to blast out whatever the problem is. That is much easier to try first.

• 4 months later...

I didn't try the compressed air yet. I did try just blowing into it with my own hot air. ; )  It's still an intermittent problem. I need to try the compressed air. Thanks for reminding me. I haven't been playing out with this keyboard lately though.

I actually found out, after making some calls to a few musical repair shop, that it's actually an electronical problem for me. There are exactly 8 keys in between the 4 keys that don't work. G#, E, C, G#. And a tech told me that if it stopped working all in once, it's probably a circuit break. I just bought my Casio privia px555 10 days ago.... and I already love this piano.

I also tried to see if I can open the piano. There are so many screws underneat!! And the keyboard is the first part to be placed originally, so it's the last one when you dissemble it. I'll go in a repair shop, to be sure. But if you a bit of a geek with electronical stuff, there are tutorials on youtube that explain it