Video Files on Forum ×

No sound from Mic input.

Hello. I just purchased a WK245 for my daughter for her birthday . I also bought her a Shure SM58 mic , XLR cable and an XLR female to 1/4 adapter. I am unable to get the microphone to work. I've adjusted the volume on the keyboard as well as the microphone volume on the back . I've had no luck , is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there a button to press to turn the mic on , on the keyboard itself ? Thank you .  My daughter is very disappointed, I'd like to get this working for her . 

Kind regards ,

Danny

Danny

There is always the chance of a defective component in the signal path - the mic, its cable, the adapter, the keyboard.  If the mic has an on/off switch, is it on?  The same with the adapter?  Do you have any other amplified device (guitar amp, etc) with a 1/4" input that you can test the mic with?  The SM58 won't sound very good through a guitar amp, but it should work well enough for a simple continuity test.  Do you have any other signal source (guitar, etc.) that you can test the keyboard's MIC IN jack with?  Here again, it won't sound very good, but will verify that the keyboard is at least receiving a signal through the MIC IN jack.  Look at the adapter 1/4" connections.  Are there just 2 - a TIP and a SLEEVE - commonly known as a TS mono plug, or are there 3 connections - a TIP, a RING, and a SLEEVE - commonly known as a TRS stereo plug?  If it has 3 (TRS) connections, then that is your problem, only in this case, the TRS configuration is not to provide a stereo signal, but rather is configured to continue the XLR balanced signal on into the 1/4" balanced connection of the connected device.  The WK-245 MIC IN jack is an unbalanced mono jack that requires a 1/4" unbalanced mono TS plug.  If this is the case, then the mic's signal is being shorted to ground where the adapter's connections make contact with the MIC IN jack's connections.  I have seen more than a few incidences of this problem in the past several years, but then there is always the odd case where everything is as it should be, but no sound.  The XLR mic is replaced with a different one, and everything works fine, but the non-working mic can be connected directly to the XLR inputs of a mixer or amp and works just fine.  It seems that some XLR mics just do not want to work into the unbalanced output of an adapter.

Good luck!

- T -