Video Files on Forum ×

Convert a tone to drumset

I have a CTK7200 which has a pattern editor. I wanted to create few patterns with 'Tabla' which is an Indian drum. But when I edit the drum "part", tabla is not available there, as it has been registered as a tone (Tone - OTHERS - 20). I tried for a workaround, tried to add it to a "chord" part. But when I play rythm it is transposed with the auto accompaniment chord I am playing. I was wondering if there is a way to convert a tone to a drumset. Or is there is way to create a tone part that is not transposed with the auto-accompaniment chords. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks   

Jimmy

As you have already discovered, response, or non-response, to the Transpose function is an integral part of a Tone's design.  Drum Tones do not respond, while other Tones do.  Some high-end Arranger Workstations allow the user, rather than the keyboard's operating system, to control this manually.  While the Octave Shift function, on the CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX models can be applied separately to the various zones (UPPER-1, UPPER-2, LOWER), Transpose is a global setting that affects all zones simultaneously.

- T -

Jimmy

No!  The IDES-2, 3, 4 software was written for the older keyboards (WK-3XXX and equivalent CTK models) and will not work with the sound and rhythm engines of the newer models.  While Rhythm files from the older models can be imported quite easily by the newer models, Tone files from older models can not be used by the newer models in any way, due to vast differences in their respective sound engines.  Converting tones to a drumset would require the unit to have "sampling" capabilities.  While some of the more basic CTK/WK models have carried over the sampling capabilities of their predecessors, it remains primarily a rather popular "sales" feature on those models, but lacks the sophistication of truly professional samplers, and has been dropped from the current high end models (CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX).  Even my old (2006) WK-3800 work horse here, does not "sample", and was the last of the high end WK models to even load Casio pre-made sample files ("Tone with Wave" and "Drum with Wave").

- T -

• 6 months later...

I have a CTK7200 and I have been trying to find out a way to create to rythamic patterns in it using indian drums for a while. Unfortunately indian drums are available only in the Indian version of this keyboard, CTK7300in. I tried to buy that keyboard, but I couldn't as it looks like they are sold only within India.

I figured out a way to create custom Indian rhythms using MIDI files. I created a new song file in Anvil studio, added a rhythm track. I went to the compose mode and clicked on the add notes button. There we can add the drum notes we are going to use in the track. If you want to add Tabla notes use the first 6 notes, Dolak next 6-12, mrudangam 12-17. These notes are not shown there by default. You may have to click show all notes check box(may be a feature added in the later Anvil studio versions). 

Create the track using the notes you picked, convert MIDI to ac6 file and feed it into your keyboard. It's simple.