Video Files on Forum ×

Notes lost occasionally

sim1969

Hi.

I own an xw-p1 since 2014, I like it a lot, even though I'm not a musician and I'm an ultra newbie to synths.

Since the last year, occasionally happens the following thing: while playing, a note drop. I mean: I push the key, and the sound doesn't come out, if single, or one of the sound of the zone doesn't come out, as if I reached the polyphony limit. When this happens, if I use a sequencer's pattern, some notes of the drums disappear or are "chopped".

Usually, when this happens, I reboot the xw-p1, and the problem disappears. Usually, but not always, the problem arises soon as I use the xw-p1.

I think - but I've got no statistics - that it happens more often when I use directly an hex layer tone or a drawbar tone and  the sequencer. But sometimes even with a performance.

The strange thing is that is not predictable. I can use the xw-p1 heavily for hours and the problem doesn't arise. Sometimes, I turn on the xw-p1 and the problem is there straight away. I reboot, and the problem disappears, even with the same patch as before.

It seems, but i'm not sure, that this problem is very less heavy if I use the synth everyday (as I should do!). If I left the xw-p1 off for some time (one ore two weeks), it seems that it's more prone to the problem. Has the xw-p1 a backup battery, like the pc motherboards?

I have firmware 1.11. Since the problem arose the first time, I re-initialized the xw-p1 two or three times.

I attach the current configuration of my keyboard, if someone would like to check it for a solution or an answer.

Thanks a lot in advance, and forgive my not so clear and succint english.

Have a nice day.

Sim

XW-P1_180408.ZAL

I had a sort of similar incidence with my G1, where it sometimes somewhat randomly 'lost' a block of notes on the keyboard. Always the same block too. 

I worked out that it was the keyboard itself, as IIRC, all these 'lost' notes responded fine via MIDI, therefore it appeared to be keyboard rather than sound engine related.

More bizarrely, after I had all my equipment shipped from the UK to the USA, the problem hasn't reoccurred since.

Only thing I can suggest is to check the zone settings in performance mode. Also, do you have any MIDI leads connected to your P1? Is it possible that the keyboard is receiving MIDI from another source that is causing conflicts?

Thank you Chas for your time.

I don't have anything connected (both Usb and Midi). The only thing connected is the flash memory inserted on the rear.

I'll try to take it out and see if the problem happens.

Could be related to a keyboard zone but, as far as I remember, it happened everywhere on the keyboard.

It's two days i play the xw-p1 and the problem didn't arise during this time.

Since you said that in the USA the problem disappeared, could it be something related to power supply or different voltage and hertz (110v 60hz in USA electrical network vs 220v 50hz in Europe network)?

I'm not an electrician, I'm just guessing and reasoning (but with little knowledge).

Anyway, thanks a lot again.

Hmm, only thing I can suggest is to do a factory reset, and then play the P1 for a while using only the factory presets and performances. If the problem doesn't reoccurr, then it's a possible custom setting somewhere in your own presets. If it does still occur after a factory reset, then it might be more hardware related. 

Have you also checked that the problem is present both at the headphones output and also at the line outs?

Regarding my G1's mysterious sporadic non responsive block of keys issue, I doubt if it's a voltage issue between the UK and USA that caused it. I use a heavy duty voltage converter unit that converts the USA AC 110v to UK 220v, so that I can use all my UK electronic equipment over here in the USA. Additionally, the Casio XW's use wall warts/ power supply units that can accept both UK and USA AC voltages. I could plug them into a 110v supply and they'd still produce the same low voltage DC output that the XW's require. I think my G1 might have had a loose connection, and during the shipping process it somehow reseated itself. That's all I can think that might have happened. Either that or magic!

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. Mainly during a performance setup. Suddenly note in one zone stop playing. Could be just one note is still playing but the rest of the key don't produce any sound until I reboot... Pretty annoying. I hope Casio can respond here somehow to let us know if it is a bug.