Video Files on Forum ×

Using different Zone Arpeggios as a faux 64-step sequencer?

iceworm

I'm wondering if this idea would work. Basically, it's making a jerry-rigged 64-step sequencer by using different Arpeggios in each of the four zones of a stage setting. I know we could just use the phrase recorder to create a much longer "sequence" than that, but as far as I can tell you cannot edit individual notes (or "steps") in a phrase. With the Arpeggio edit function it's easy to create a 16-step sequence as a custom Arpeggio and save it, and you can always go in and edit individual steps in that Arp at any time.

So, if I take a stage setting and set up four zones with separate key ranges, then assigned a different Arpeggio to each zone that would potentially allow me to then record a four-note phrase playing one key from each of those four zones and...hopefully...end up with a 64-note sequence? (four zones x 16-step Arp per zone = 64 steps)

The potential issue that I think (not sure) could maybe arise is this: In phrase recording, when playing a note that triggers the Arpeggio, does the full Arp finish before going to the next note or would I have to try and time it during playing/recording (with guide beat and quantize turned on)? I'm guessing it would have to be played in time by ear, but once recorded it would save as a phrase and you could just play back that phrase and have your 64-step sequence play.

You'd also need to adjust the course tune in each zone to be able to play each note on the same pitch, but that looks fairly easy.

Does this make sense? Would it work or am I crazy? Something I'm missing? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello iceworm,

Using the arpeggiator directly sounds like an interesting idea but I don't think you can stagger the key-on time between the different zones.  I think the steps run simultaneously between all 4 zones in the arpeggio.

The phrase idea would be the best bet.  But you don't have to record the phrase by hand directly on the px-5s so to speak.  You can actually build or record a midi file and then use the casio data editor to convert the midi file into a phrase.  Use the phrase convert function to do that.

By doing this, you can fine tune your phase or make it as complicated as you want.  You could even add midi events like volume changes or frequency envelope changes.