Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI control from PC using local tones?

I'm fairly new to MIDI, but, as far as I understand it, the MIDI signal only consists of pitch and velocity data, not audio data.

What I want to do is send a MIDI signal from my PC to my Casio WK-220 keyboard, have the keyboard render the MIDI signal in the current tone, reverb setting, etc., and then record the audio output through my audio interface. However, when I try to send a MIDI signal to the keyboard, the keyboard only seems to be capable of using generic GM tones. Is there any way to set the keyboard to ignore the program data from the computer and use its current tone setting instead? I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't be possible, and it seems to me that using the MIDI input this way would be much more useful than being constrained to GM tones. 

Thanks for all help!

• 1 year later...
On 5/28/2018 at 6:37 PM, Robbo said:

I'm fairly new to MIDI, but, as far as I understand it, the MIDI signal only consists of pitch and velocity data, not audio data.

What I want to do is send a MIDI signal from my PC to my Casio WK-220 keyboard, have the keyboard render the MIDI signal in the current tone, reverb setting, etc., and then record the audio output through my audio interface. However, when I try to send a MIDI signal to the keyboard, the keyboard only seems to be capable of using generic GM tones. Is there any way to set the keyboard to ignore the program data from the computer and use its current tone setting instead? I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't be possible, and it seems to me that using the MIDI input this way would be much more useful than being constrained to GM tones. 

Thanks for all help!

Hi Robbo,

You can use any tone from MIDI if you find a way to send a "bank select message" followed by a "program change message" over midi.

If you do not send a "bank select message", the bank number remains at 0, and this corresponds exactly to the generic GM tones.

I would expect most midi-enabled DAWs to be capable of doing that (but don't take my word for it...).

To know exactly which bank and which program to select, you can consult the documentation
(more specifically, the WK-220 appendix in https://support.casio.com/pdf/008/Web_07M2APPEND-WL-1A.pdf which lists the bank and program number for each tone.)